Sign in to follow this  
MitchellScott

Shark Attack XPA

Anyone brewed this guy from the Recipes section?

Wanting to do a pale ale type beer next once my lager is done fermenting and this one caught my eye browsing through the recipes section.

Thoughts on it? Or other nice pale ale recommendations? In commercial pale ales I don't mind a One Fifty Lashes but I am open to try some new things :).

Cheers!

Just started drinking this one actually. It’s about 3 weeks in the bottle and pretty damn good. I had one after about 10 days and it was ok, but extra week and a half has served it very well. 

I liked the recipe as an XPA with the same hop combo as the Balter one and while it’s not that close it’s still pretty damn good. If you like the balter, I think you will like this one.

I’ll do it again.

• Like 3

I am looking for something to do with my cerveza can.  I was going to do the Caribbean siesta but now leaning towards the shark attack.  I have been trying to sample a few of the gabs top 10 and like what I have tried so far.

i would also like to hear feedback.

9 hours ago, Haveduck said:

I am looking for something to do with my cerveza can.  I was going to do the Caribbean siesta but now leaning towards the shark attack.  I have been trying to sample a few of the gabs top 10 and like what I have tried so far.

i would also like to hear feedback.

Hi Haveduck

I have not done either recipe, but for where I am at the moment I would go for the Caribbean Siesta because it is a slightly lighter beer.  I have done a lot of IPAs and heavier beers lately and want to try some less oomphy ones.

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Haveduck

I have not done either recipe, but for where I am at the moment I would go for the Caribbean Siesta because it is a slightly lighter beer.  I have done a lot of IPAs and heavier beers lately and want to try some less oomphy ones.

Shamus - I think I will stick to the Caribbean Siesta for this one.  Just had 100g of Calypso hops delivered today... That made my mind up.

Maybe I'll try the Shark attack in the future.  Keen to see the reviews.

• Like 1

Hey there @Haveduck. Did the Shark Attack XPA a few weeks ago and am drinking it now. Came out very nice, but I’d probably add about 50% more to the three hops next time I brew it.

But a damn good beer, very tasty and easy drinking but could do with a bit more bite.

Damn, I’m starting to sound like a hop head!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

Hey there @Haveduck. Did the Shark Attack XPA a few weeks ago and am drinking it now. Came out very nice, but I’d probably add about 50% more to the three hops next time I brew it.

But a damn good beer, very tasty and easy drinking but could do with a bit more bite.

Damn, I’m starting to sound like a hop head!

Sounds nice! I am just getting into hopping my brews so think I might leave the recipe normal for the first batch and see how I find it. Then if I feel like it could be more hoppy I can go 50% more for the next brew :).

My lager has a week or so left cold crashing then I think I will start this recipe.

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 2

I have made this one, I have one bottle left. It's okay, but as others have said, it needs more in the dry hop. I would probably use double next time.

• Like 1

I made this before Xmas and double the amount of hops and it is a very nice drop. Only 1 bottle left. Keen to try it with a real ale can

• Like 1

Drinking one right now! Double hops is great but the original was also good. I've given away probably 32 longnecks of this to good feedback - it's that accessable.

Looking forward to trying my hand at improving on this recipe with a partial mash of some sort as the head retention is lacking. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

To the above ^^^ Does anyone have any suggestions to a partial grain type to add to this??

I have only ever done partials (by recipe) so my knowledge of grain bills is limited. I'm thinking just some normal ol 2-row / pils even...

Let me know if I'm way off the mark.