Coopers Community

Dry hop day 4 or dry hop 4 days

Titan

In a little dilemma here. When a recipe for an ale says dry hop day 4, in my mind that means dry hop 4 days after active ferment. Im in an argument in gf user group, they say dry hop for 4 days after ferment is complete, for me this is bs. Which is it? or should i eat humble pie.

Does the year start on January 0? 😜

There's no such thing as day 0, because that would be the "zeroeth" day. It's the first day or day number 1. Zero days have passed. After 24 hours, one day has passed and it moves into the second day or day number 2, and so on and so forth.

Same reason why the new millennium started in 2001, not 2000 like a lot of people claimed. 

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's no such thing as day 0, because that would be the "zeroeth" day. It's the first day or day number 1. Zero days have passed. After 24 hours, one day has passed and it moves into the second day or day number 2, and so on and so forth.

Same reason why the new millennium started in 2001, not 2000 like a lot of people claimed. 

Yep 100% concur ...  the correct mathematics is this: If i pitch on a Monday and check SG on a Friday I am checking on day 5 .... If i check after 5 days I check on day 6 ...  so if  I hop for 4 days I remove on day 5 ...  OVB is correct you can not have a 0 day as zero signifies no value ...  for example if you pitch at midday Monday and fermentation started 3 hours after pitching fermentation started at 3 pm on day 1  ... or after pitching fermentation 27 hours later it started at 3pm on day 2 ...  so day 1 starts at time of pitching ... 

46 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah... I was just playing on your "Bloody hell this thread is confusing" statement  😁

Though having said that...  other cultures don't necessarily view things the way we do.  E.g. many Asians by they're traditional reckoning are born at the age of one.

I often agree with @Otto Von Blotto but not this time! I tend to count how long a brew has fermented for. So in my brew log I would say "krausen visible after 12 hours". I do the same for days. Been in fermenter for 1 day, 2 days, etc. By that logic Day 1 is after 24hrs and up to 48hra, when it ticks over to day 2.

Accept that Day 0 exists!!!

I count the days like that too, but they're two different things. Day 1 is the first 24 hours or the first day. It can't be anything else no matter how you try to twist it 😜

Day 1 being the second lot of 24 hours makes absolutely no sense logically or mathematically. If it's already been in there for 24 hours, or one day, then from 24 to 48 hours has to be the second day, or day 2, how could it be the first day when it's already been in for one day? At that point it's been in there for 2 days, and it moves into the third day (day 3). 

20 hours ago, Titan said:

In a little dilemma here. When a recipe for an ale says dry hop day 4, in my mind that means dry hop 4 days after active ferment. Im in an argument in gf user group, they say dry hop for 4 days after ferment is complete, for me this is bs. Which is it? or should i eat humble pie.

Neither is BS. There are arguments that work for both from what I've read.

At Day 4 for an ale brew generally the fermentation is beginning to slow but is still expelling C02. How much of the absorbed aroma compounds from released oils of the hops are blown off with expelling C02, I honestly don't know. I can only assume the theory behind this practice is that the brew is still in "tumble dry mode" & the aromatic oils get more evenly mixed/distributed through the beer. Beyond that aspect I have a hard time understanding the logic.

My personal view is to dry hop once active fermentation has pretty much ceased thus what aromatic oils are released, stay in the wort as much as can be contained without being blown off. (in theory)

I've posted a link to this video (it's about 7yrs old now) a few times on the forum as I feel anyone interested in gaining the most from their hops, it is a must watch, listen, & learn.

As John Palmer, Jamil Zanainasheff, Chris White, & others are gods to many about various aspects of brewing, James Altwies is my 'Hop God' for information.

James is the president, chief executive officer, & chief technical officer at Gorst Valley hops in Wisconsin, USA. He has a Master of Science in Horticulture & Environmental Biophysics & a Bachelor of Science in Biology & Cellular Chemistry. He is also an expert at Hop Production, Aroma Chemistry, Sensory Science, Brewing Chemistry, Horticulture, & Lecturing.

Well worth your time to listen to.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:59 AM, Hairy said:

My view is:

Dry Hop Day 4 - this is 4 days after fermentation starts

Dry Hop 4 Days - this is 4 days before bottling

Not sure if I am correct though.

I think you are right Hairy. 😉 That is the way I see it too.

I dry hop commando style, so can't take the hops out. I also cold crash, which confuses things. If I want the dry hops in there for 4 days, or whatever, do I count backwards from when I plan to start the cold crash? I usually cold crash for 1 week.

I have tried adding the dry hop just as I dial down the temp, at the start of the cold crash, but I find it really subdues / dulls the effect. Nowadays I tend to add the dry hops a day or two before the start of the cold crash and have been pretty happy with the results.

Cheers,

Christina.

I usually put them in a day or two before the cold crash too Christina. I find it works pretty well. I'm pitching a pale ale tomorrow, that one will be my first foray into keg hopping. I have some strainers that should fit through the opening, and the lids have a little eyelet thing on the underside so I can hang them. This way they won't remain in the beer once its level drops below the strainer(s). 

Archived