Coopers Community

tank water and bitterness.

worry wort

hmmm... I've been making coopers since '84, and up until 2009 always on town water. never a problem. Since moving bush in '09, im on tank water, which is crystal clear, and lovely. Never had a problem with my homebrews on tank water, but I recently changed from the dark ale back to real ale. I've made 3 brews of the RA, but found it to be more bitter than I can ever remember. Discussing this with another long term coopers brewer (converted him in '85!) about this and he said he noticed it too when he came up here so changed to either lager or draught.  Raised the issue at the LHBS store, some 50k away, one of the regulars there said it had to do with the way RA was made dating back several years, they include some counter for the impurities of town water which, when used with non-fluorinated water can make the beer bitter. I have never heard this but that does not mean its not so. It sounded feasible only because I agree the RA is more bitter, but I have not noticed it with the Dark Ale.

Anyone in a position to shed light on this?

I need to point out the following....I have no degree in any form of science so cannot answer any questions which require an in-depth knowledge of water; Water is to keep fish and plants alive, mix with cordial and make beer out of; I have no understanding of a lot of the ingredients listed on a coopers can, I just know when combined with water, I like them.

thanks 

WW.

The real ale kit is more bitter anyway so it might just be that. I've never heard of them adding stuff to counter different things in town water and surely if it's in the real ale kit it would be in all of them? 

I made it once with town water and a box of BE1, not the greatest recipe ever, but I did notice it was quite bitter. 

Hi Worry Wort. I was getting some "tannin" taste when I was using my tank (rain) water in my Pale Ales. I checked pH of water and it was high 5's compared to my town water low to mid 5's.

What does that mean? No idea!

Suffice to say, I have now gone town water only, for convenience mainly, doing 34L mashes. I tested a mash one time at 5.2pH, a good number I'm led to believe.

No more tannic tastes but that could be due to my bigger mashes, evolved hop schedules and no-chill cubing.

This probably does not help you a lot. Just my 2 bobs worth. 😎

Cheers

Water pH won't affect it. Mine's 7 (distilled water) or high 7s when I use town water. Never had tannin like flavours.  

It is possible that your town water contains some carbonates which make it more difficult to drop the mash pH. Maybe it was dropping too far with the rainwater. 

By the way it's very acidic town water 🤔

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

....By the way it's very acidic town water 🤔

Well, it comes out of the Ovens River at Wangaratta. Since about 1965 I have swum in it, pissed in it, fished in it  and now I make beer out of it, and I'm still alive, I think.

I'm not going to get into a discussion about ph until I  learn more and chuck my swabs and get a gauge.

The tannin I spoke about was like wine taste, when you get a dryness inside the cheeks of you mouth - I may be confusing astringency which I also know nothing about.

I'm drinking nice AG grog, though, right now.

Cheers

Archived