Coopers Community

Using Ale and Lager yeasts together ...

Marty_G

My quest is to create a good Czech Pils .... so just put down the Coopers Czech Pils recipe but substitutes Morgans Golden Saaz Pils for the 86 Days Pils that the recipe uses  ... the recipe uses 34/70 and the kit yeast ...  so I just pitched the 34/70 and Morgans kit yeast ... before i did the pitch i tried to find the type of yeast the kit was using and no luck ...  then bugger me after I pitched I dig deeper and see that it is an Ale yeast .... can anyone give me an idea of how this may work ... I know the Ale yeast will not go well at the 12 degree mark so the 34/70 will dominate the fermentation t that temp and when I raise the temp to 18 after 6 days the Ale yeast should finish off the ferment  ....  I imagine it will have a pretty good depth of flavour  ....  is that the correct sort of thinking ... 

It'll work but to me the best examples of that style are fermented with Czech lager yeast. Mangrove Jack's does a dry version called Bohemian lager yeast. The only regular one in Wyeast currently is 2278, which is an Urquell strain, but I've used the other Urquell (2001) and Budvar yeast (2000) in the past with good results. My favourite one was 2001, with 2278 second and 2000 third. I haven't used the MJ dry yeast though.

30 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It'll work but to me the best examples of that style are fermented with Czech lager yeast. Mangrove Jack's does a dry version called Bohemian lager yeast. The only regular one in Wyeast currently is 2278, which is an Urquell strain, but I've used the other Urquell (2001) and Budvar yeast (2000) in the past with good results. My favourite one was 2001, with 2278 second and 2000 third. I haven't used the MJ dry yeast though.

Thanks Mate, I have previously saved some notes about the Urquell yeasts form a previous post of yours  ... the 2001 was unavailable as it is seasonal but just checked it out and it is now in stock ....  

Archived