Coopers Community

What makes you try something different?

MitchBastard

Just curious as to what people generally look for when milling down the aisles of ol uncle dans? We’re obviosuly spoilt for choice, sometimes there’s too much to choose from. Every time I’m there I seem to see something new. For me i tend to stay away from beers that are packaged like they’re an energy drink. I just want beer that looks like it will taste like real beer.

M

23 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Just curious as to what people generally look for when milling down the aisles of ol uncle dans? We’re obviosuly spoilt for choice, sometimes there’s too much to choose from. Every time I’m there I seem to see something new. For me i tend to stay away from beers that are packaged like they’re an energy drink. I just want beer that looks like it will taste like real beer.

M

I’m boring and look for the cool looking can but I rarely buy beer from there. I find there are a heap of good beers but not sensational beers and the price is RIDICULOUS 

Usually just something I haven't tried before but since I usually only buy beer when I'm out of home brew, I mainly buy cartons so I tend to stick with what I know as 24 beers is a lot to get through if they suck. 

Once I get the second fermenter going on a regular schedule I'll probably try more unknowns because at least then I can limit it to a single or a sixer as running out of beer won't really be a concern anymore.

10 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I’m boring and look for the cool looking can but I rarely buy beer from there. I find there are a heap of good beers but not sensational beers and the price is RIDICULOUS 

I go by the can or label also. Most of the time you come away with a decent one. 

These days, like captain I try beers with new ingredients or different combos I haven't tried before.

I'm also getting a lot more adventurous with my brewing so have been buying the styles that I intend to brew next. Fruit sours, NEIPAs, saisons

I usually just go for a walk along the craft and international fridges and grab 4 individuals that I haven’t had before but will occasionally throw in one that I really like as a treat. 

I’m finding that I’m trying a lot of beers that I’d never buy a carton of (cause they’re too freaking expensive) and lots of different styles (I won’t be making a sour any time soon).

Don't worry @NewBrews I'm not a fan of sours either 😂 and some styles I only like at certain times of year e.g. stouts and porters in winter. I still like their flavours in summer but overall I find them less enjoyable in hot, humid conditions than something like a pale ale or continental lager. 

It is a great thing that there are a lot of different types of beer readily available these days though. You're not just stuck with piss water or nothing anymore. Something for (almost) everyone. 

2 hours ago, joolbag said:

come on live a little

Ha ha 😂. Definitely given them quite a few opportunities to impress me as I really like the idea of it. While it’s probably something I’d order occasionally once or twice a year I don’t think I’d get though even 10l of it in a couple of years.

And besides, there are so many other styles to try 😉.

I actually want to try a really pale base malt, some light/fresh/fruity hops, maybe Amarillo or Citra, with a champagne yeast, but I’m working up to that!

I’m keen to try brewing a NEIPA soon, thinking the recipe from Gashslug might be the go.

I noticed Brendale Brewing (not far from me) are canning their NEIPA so I might head over and grab a couple. 

Its not really a style that the shops around me like Dans and BWS are stocking. I’ve had a couple but that was during a session so I’m not quite sure I remember what they were really like 🤪

I am a member at Dan's but I rarely shop for beer there because I brew my own, and when I don't I let Aldi make narrow the choices. 

Aldi tend to keep 12 packs of Cooper's Pale in stock so that is a reliable fall back position but I always check out what special buys they have.  Already this season I have found beers at Aldi that are not only good but also marked down like the Red Dot and Black Sheep selections.  

The last beers I bought at Dan's were a couple of Old Farts to have with my dad on his 90th birthday.  They were alright but I think the old fart would have been happier with a Crownie. 🙄

7 hours ago, NewBrews said:

I don’t think I’d get though even 10l of it in a couple of years.

You posted this as I was bottling ym first sour, the raspberry berliner Weisse. I cooked and enjoying a sit down with an Aldi beer. krombacher pils. $14.99 for 6 x 500mL. Drinkable and good value but not memorable

7 hours ago, NewBrews said:

I actually want to try a really pale base malt, some light/fresh/fruity hops, maybe Amarillo or Citra, with a champagne yeast, but I’m working up to that!

If you can get a hold of the garage project hops on pointe, that’s fairly pale and has some citrus fruity hops in it. Get a fresh one though. 

12 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Have done it and am currently drinking it. It’s a beaut of a beer 

It is on my list too.  His video made it look pretty straight forward.  That is what made me want to try it.  I also had a NEIPA at Mornington Peninsula Brewery a couple of weeks ago and it was a beauty.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, NewBrews said:

I usually just go for a walk along the craft and international fridges and grab 4 individuals that I haven’t had before but will occasionally throw in one that I really like as a treat. 

I’m finding that I’m trying a lot of beers that I’d never buy a carton of (cause they’re too freaking expensive) and lots of different styles (I won’t be making a sour any time soon).

Sours are great but each to there own  sours, Saisons  , Ryes , I love stuff with taste Trappist styles neipa's , west coast ipa,s traditional german styles hoped up a bit love em all. My reason for brewing was going to Europe in 2008 and a couple of times since and trying different beers in Germany and Belgium and loved them and thought   well I want to try brewing them rest is history cheers 

On 2/14/2019 at 6:42 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Hairy

How about the beer?

It aint that good now that Lion are brewing it. Same with the Pale, both have been blanded up some. Maybe still the goods down at the freo brewery/pub, but haven't been there in a long time.

Archived