Coopers Community

Old Milwaukee - yes or no?

Malter White

Technically no, because when you serve it, it will be served from the bottle. It's only draught when it's served from the keg straight into a glass for drinking.

No different to going to a brewery and having them fill a growler from the tap. Once you take it home and pour it into a glass it's technically not draught beer either. But it would taste the same as if they poured a glass at the bar.

If it is draught when they pour it into the growler, why is it not draught when I pour it out?  By your definitive definition, if one was to pour a glass of beer from a keg, pour that beer from the glass into another glass, it would no longer be draught.

I drive a tractor around in circles for hours, it is boring but racecars are fun to watch.

Edited by Ronnie Dale
cause

Because when it's poured into a glass from a growler the serving method is no longer from the keg. There is a step added in between. 

The definition is pretty straightforward: beer served from a keg. That is, straight from the keg to the glass, not put into something else to be taken home or whatever first. 

• Like 1

But isn't the word draught originally from to pull.  From a keg is a very modern meaning considering kegs are a recent thing.  If beer was poured from a barrel without carbonation, would that still be draught?  Carlton parted with their last wooden barrel about 60 years ago, should we combine kegs with barrels to make an historical point?  For Australian history, we are only talking 60 years of a full turn over to kegs not barrels.  At what point do we change history to fit what we now believe to be true?

To draught means to pull. 1000 years ago they did not pull a beer from a keg.  They poured it from , yea I don't know, I'm not that old.

Speaking of draught meaning to pull, are you watching the Daytona 500 this week?  Nascar starts the season with the Grand Final!

From a barrel is draught yes. The definition states that, from a keg or barrel. If they didn't have kegs or barrels 1000 years ago then they didn't have draught beer. The brekky creek pub up here still serves XXXX from wooden kegs, or barrels (they call them kegs though).

I won't be watching the NASCAR no 😜

• Like 1

Hiya Ronnie Dale. (Sounds like a NASCAR driver name! 😜)

After your prompt for me to look at your comments in this thread....HERE I AM.

I've taken the time to go back through the thread & re-read from your initial post in it. You've had a fair bit of 'to & fro' with Otto Von Blotto for a fair bit of the last page & a half.

I agree with 98% of what Otto has answered you with. I have to say 98% even though I reckon 100% in this case because I don't want him to EVER think I agree with him totally. 😜

So don't tell him OK. 😉

After reading the to & fro, I'm not sure what it is that you feel I can add to the discussion. 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

By the way, yes I do drive a bus around for hours at a time and for the most part I enjoy doing it. Doesn't mean I enjoy watching other buses drive around for hours though. It's a bit like golf for me, I like going for a round with some mates every now and then but watching it bores the shit out of me 😉

• Like 1

• 3 months later...