Coopers Community

Old Milwaukee - yes or no?

Malter White

53 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

If I can find it over here in the west I’ll give it a go. We do have better taste over here though so they probably tried to sell it once upon a time but no one bought it, so stopped stocking it.

Probably why we cannot get Swan Lager over here.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I wonder why that is?

They relabelled it Swan Draught. Well not relabeled just switched products. Swan draught is up there with ya west end, tooheys new and Lion reds of the world....... horrible stuff. 

But nowhere as horrible as Emu Bitter. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I always laugh when they label canned or bottled beer draught. Draught is beer served from a keg regardless of what style it is, plain and simple. Despite what the label says, it ain't draught if it's in a can or bottle.

Yep. I feel the same. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I always laugh when they label canned or bottled beer draught. Draught is beer served from a keg regardless of what style it is, plain and simple. Despite what the label says, it ain't draught if it's in a can or bottle.

I don't disagree but how do we explain this? 😄 

draught-_-glass.png

Marketing. It's meant to resemble the usual draught beer available in pubs. Of course that beer is no different to what they put in the cans and bottles, it's only draught at the pub because it's served from a keg.

There used to be a XXXX draught in bottles and probably cans as well. It was just Bitter with a different label. 

It started as a means to make bottled beer taste like draught beer.  The keg and bottle beer are the same other than bottled beer is past your eyesd, while keg beer was kept cold.  So bottled beer was cold filtered without pasteurization and that's about all I know.  Maybe the beer was shipped in refrigerated trucks?  Not sure what it is now other than marketing.

The only way to get bottled beer to taste like draught beer is to pour it into a glass. That's literally about the only reason why it tastes different. 

Taste is about 70-80% smell. Obviously you can't get the aroma through a bottle neck like you do from a beer glass, hence the difference. I've noticed it with home brews tasting like shit from the bottle the same beer being but completely different and a lot better from a glass.

I understand what you are saying but,

Oh Lord forgive me for I am about to argue with Kelsey.

First; I can't speak for Aus beer

Secondst; When Millers produced Genuine Draft (not draught), it was never heat treated after being bottled.  Heating beer does change the taste.

Threest; Millers High Life and Genuine Draft are the same recipe with two different taste.

Fourst; I know we have been told for years that taste is mostly smell, I put that up there with not swimming for 3 years after eating, my nose is stopped up now but this gin and tonic taste great.

Draft is just a yank way of spelling draught. No difference in the meaning. 

I would agree that heating after fermentation changes the taste. Probably explains why non alcoholic beers don't taste like their full strength brothers.

Taste being mostly smell isn't an old wives tale. Every time I get a blocked nose with a cold or whatever stuff tastes different, or in some cases is blander than normal. As I already said, drinking the same beer straight from the bottle tasted completely different (a lot worse) than drinking it from a glass. That one was a hoppy pale ale, so being able to smell the hop aroma is pretty important to the overall experience. 

I'm old enough to remember when the part of Merica I'm from had draught horses and draft was the general idea or a the big picture?. (Notice ? followed by ., I'm creating a new punctuation format that I'm sure will be bigger than the Interrobang)  Draft in the UK does have a slightly differing meaning than draught.

Whilst smell does add to the overall experience maybe stuff taste different when you have a cold is because the snot drips on your taste buds?

Speaking of draft, Daytona 500 starts in 15? hours.  I watched The Clash earlier this week (free download from Nascar, as all the races are a few days after the race).  If you ever wondered what happens when you have 20 cars nose to tail at 300 plus KPH and somebody pulls out to pass, do yourself a favor and see.

Yes, draft in that context has a different meaning. It's more like a "rehearsal" before the main event. Like if you're writing a report or something you do a rough draft first, then edit and refine it to the final version for publishing. 

Draught is different, obviously beer on tap and also means light breeze/air movement as well as of course the workhorses. From what I've seen, yanks spell it draft for those first two meanings as well. In other words, draft beer in America means the same as draught beer in other countries.

I tend to get snot dripping when my nose is running, not when it's blocked up. The latter isn't much different to holding your nose. Definitely affects the taste of things, mainly drinks and plated meals. Doesn't really affect things like chips for instance.

• Haha 1

Maybe I'm not all there, remember my mom looking at me and saying 'you justs half right ain't ya boy!'.  In the third grade, (yes, I went to school, my twin brother was sick one day and I took his place) Mrs. Somners passed around apple slices, first bite was normal apple eating, second was holding your nose while eating. Tasted the same to me.  So in my mind, based on my life, taste is the same with or without smell.  Smelling food or drink is great, but for the taste is the same.  Maybe I'm missing a life experience?. OR, this just crossed my mind, I have superior taste buds!!!

Noticed you didn't comment on the Nascar, OK, you have 20 buses traveling 300 plus KPH from the Ocean to the Silver City, and one pulls out to pass...

I didn't. I don't find watching cars driving around in a circle for hours on end entertaining at all  😜

The point is, draught or draft is a method of serving beer, it's not a beer style or particular flavour or whatever else. Whether or not megabreweries muck around with a beer to make it taste a bit different for a different label is irrelevant. If it's in a bottle or can it's not draught/draft beer, regardless of what the label might claim. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, if I put my beer in a keg, pull the tap to fill a bottle, cap it, it is no longer draught beer.

Anybody pick up on the Cold Chisel reference? No? OK. Just trying to fit into Oz.

May need some help here Lusty.

Edited by Ronnie Dale
Cause