Coopers Community

Old Milwaukee - yes or no?

Malter White

36 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Never tried it but have seen it, didn't buy it though because it seems like another bland American water like beer. Did you try one yet?

Not yet, Kelsey. Haven't actually bought it yet. I was going to see if anyone on here had tried it first. Knowing everyone's tastes are different, if I could find just one person to say it was ok, I'd take the plunge and buy it.
And I agree on American beers. I don't think I've ever had one that is really good. Not that I've had that many.

I say go for it!  Once in a lifetime opportunity!  Might change your life!

It was a popular beer at one time in areas of the US, a little different from the others.  Not sure if that is good or bad.  I doubt if I have had one in the last 30 years but from memory I would put it with maybe Fosters.

Give it a shot, worst thing is you will drink it just to get it out of the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Let us know Muzzy! The suspense is killing me.

I managed to get a carton tonight.

The verdict: It's your typical American mass produced beer - light in colour, light on flavour. Definitely a beer for hot days.

It's not bad, it's just not very good. However, I only paid $45 for the equivalent of 30 x 375ml cans of full strength beer. I guess it comes down to the old adage, "you get what you pay for."

IMG_20190211_221136.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do not mind an easy drinking 'merican beer.  However I love a more complex 'merican beer....

And here is one

2053291385_SamuelAdamsBostonLager.jpg.bf38d6f4389f55a6e83488c5528ea1c2.jpg

I would love an extract recipe for this.

Cheers Shamus

Don't suppose you want to trade a dozen Adams for a dozen Old Milwaukees? It's good trade 355ml for 473ml. 😉 

• Haha 5

Had never heard of the Sam Adams Boston Lager before reading this thread yesterday.

Last night we dropped into a American BBQ place on the way home for burgers (not having been there before) and they had it there.

Grabbed a bottle and thoroughly enjoyed it, probably the best American beer I’ve had.

Burgers were excellent too. For those in Brissie it was Hudson’s Corner in Albion. 

• Like 3

They make some great beers but unfortunately the Lager is the only one we get here.

When I was at a Celtics game in Boston last year I had a Sam Adams NEIPA and it was the best NEIPA I have tried. They have much better beer at sporting events over there.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 9:35 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Listened to a podcast this morning which had a fair bit on that Boston lager episode 69 on the craft beer and brewing podcast. Sounded tasty for a lager

9 hours ago, Hairy said:

They make some great beers but unfortunately the Lager is the only one we get here.

When I was at a Celtics game in Boston last year I had a Sam Adams NEIPA and it was the best NEIPA I have tried. They have much better beer at sporting events over there.

I listened to the podcast recommended by The Captain above.  Really interesting.  Sounds like Samuel Adams are really into experimenting with different brews.

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I listened to the podcast recommended by The Captain above.  Really interesting.  Sounds like Samuel Adams are really into experimenting with different brews.

Yeah sounds like it hey, however just like Hairy says, we only eat the lager unfortunately.

I haven’t tried the lager because well...... it’s a lager.🤪

3 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yeah sounds like it hey, however just like Hairy says, we only eat the lager unfortunately.

I haven’t tried the lager because well...... it’s a lager.🤪

You should surprise yourself Captain.  Boston Lager is the ale-iest lager I have ever had.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You should surprise yourself Captain.  Boston Lager is the ale-iest lager I have ever had.

If I can find it over here in the west I’ll give it a go. We do have better taste over here though so they probably tried to sell it once upon a time but no one bought it, so stopped stocking it.

• Haha 2