Coopers Community

Sports

PaddyBrew2

Seeing as we chew the fat on a lot of topics, I can’t recall seeing one on sport.  Just wondering what sports and teams the fellow brewer supports

im a big rugby union fan. Played it since I was six. Having moved to Perth , it isn’t as big as I thought it would be seeing as Australia were always one of the best teams when I was growing up 

I do like cricket too. Never played it and as I’m irish it’s strange for paddys to like it as it’s seen as a pommy sport 

AFL I can’t get into. Too stop start for my liking 

I ABSOLUTELY love football with my major teams being Sydney FC and Leeds United. 

I’m also a big fan of League and AFL and follow St George and Collingwood. 

I also follow NFL (Patriots), MMA and have taken a shining to the American Supercroas this season !! 

I pretty much keep my eye all major sports!!

Welcome to the states of the rest of Australia PaddyBrew. Rubgy is played seriously in two states of Australia, NSW & QLD. Victoria have one successful side in the NRL because they just love sport in general & have a population that can support most sports financially on some level.

18 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

...AFL I can’t get into. Too stop start for my liking 

What?? When a bloke kicks it out of bounds on the full, waiting for a line out group to assemble isn't classed as stop start? Gimmee a break! 🙄

The game almost wastes as much time as Grid Iron does. That's why Rugby athletes can't play AFL, because they simply don't have the endurance capabilities to be on the move all the time.

Good to see the "Fighting Irish" doing well on the world rugby union scene though! 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

My family is mad on AFL. All of my brothers were pretty good at it. 

I started loosing interest in my late teens, injuries, concussions and generally sore all the time. 

So I started to surf a lot more, 4-7 days a week. I don’t surf as much anymore.

Got into riding bikes and downhill through the bush. Came off pretty bad one day and basically broke my back. Took me over two years to recover to a point where I could stand on a surfboard again. Started Stand up paddling for recovery and injury management now I’m getting into long distance paddling and love it. Everyday I go out there’s always dolphins and aquatic life to look at and have fun with. 

Looking forward to getting into more surfing side of the sport too. 

• Like 1

haha my tongue was placed firmly in cheek with that comment.  Gaelic football is similar to the AFL, hence the international rules, but i just dont get how you are rewarded for catching a kick. I dont like sports where you cant contest for the ball, much like rugby league. AFL you can contest but i just dont get why you get a mark for a catch. 

Edited by PaddyBrew2

I'm an Aussie Rules fan. Played it from around 8 years old until my mid 30s, mainly at the Home of Football, Gaza FC, in Adelaide and I'm proudly a life member. I also played cricket rather poorly there as well.
I support Norfs (North Adelaide) in SANFL and Essendon in the AFL.

I grew up in Western Sydney so it was Rugby League in winter and Cricket in summer. I was an anomaly because played basketball which wasn't popular back then.

I have teams that I follow in most sports, some I am passionate about and some just to have an interest.

Passionate

Rugby League - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
NBA - Boston Celtics
NBL - Sydney Kings

Interest

AFL - Richmond (with a soft spot for GWS)
NFL - NE Patriots
MBL - Boston Red Sox

I have never been able to get interested in Rugby Union. I love cricket though, I could easily sit back and watch a 5 day test.

Follow league /union and basketball mostly. Had the privilege of playing France in soccer and touch in Darwin. Won the fleet afl comp last year and came 3rd in the basketball comp. Pretty much throw my hands up for any sporting event work offers. Going to try gee up some cricket games Vs some cricket mad country's later this year also.

20 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Got into riding bikes and downhill through the bush. Came off pretty bad one day and basically broke my back. Took me over two years to recover to a point where I could stand on a surfboard again.

Wow. I hope you’re ok and have recovered well. I really want to try surfing but I’m an average swimmer and the whole shark thing is always in my head although I have never heard of a shark attack near my local beach which is only 10 minutes away

15 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Wow. I hope you’re ok and have recovered well. I really want to try surfing but I’m an average swimmer and the whole shark thing is always in my head although I have never heard of a shark attack near my local beach which is only 10 minutes away

All good BB. Took a while but basically back to how I was before. Just a little stiffer and not as flexible as I once was. 

After surfing for a long time around port Lincoln and up the west coast of eyre peninsula I thought when I got back to WA the shark thing wouldn’t be as present. But no, it’s probably worse now ha ha. It does play a part in where I surf/sup these days where as 20 years ago surfing catcus or Lefties down south was nothing to me. 

Still I do go surfing and love it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

All good BB. Took a while but basically back to how I was before. Just a little stiffer and not as flexible as I once was. 

After surfing for a long time around port Lincoln and up the west coast of eyre peninsula I thought when I got back to WA the shark thing wouldn’t be as present. But no, it’s probably worse now ha ha. It does play a part in where I surf/sup these days where as 20 years ago surfing catcus or Lefties down south was nothing to me. 

Still I do go surfing and love it.

My felixibility is awful and I have never even broken a bone or had any type of injury. 

The Central Coast of NSW isn’t known for shark attacks so I should just man up!! 

My young bloke is almost 13 so maybe we can go for lessons together soon enough. 

Beer Baron

Grew up on the gold coast doing surf life saving from 5 yrs old. Your more likely to die from a cow attack then a shark but Hollywood doesn't make those films so that irrational fear is imprinted in us about the sea. My livelyhood is the sea and I have no issue about jumping in the middle of the ocean for a swim when I can (yes we have gunners closed up lol but again iv never heard of a time we used them). 

6 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

For me it’s a real risk, I’ve been to three funerals where someone has been taken by a white and my ex girlfriends mother was also taken. Not only that, I’ve known another two.

To me, a real risk that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Sorry to hear, I guess we all have had different experiences regarding sharks. For me people scare me more then sharks as we are far more dangerous to us and them then they us.

9 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

For me it’s a real risk, I’ve been to three funerals where someone has been taken by a white and my ex girlfriends mother was also taken. Not only that, I’ve known another two.

To me, a real risk that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Sorry to hear that Captain. I think you have just made up my mind

I was never much into sports apart from Golf, which I gave up years ago & I played Darts all over Australia for many years, used to enter tournaments & won a fair bit of $$$, used to hustle in the Pubs a lot & I run a couple of Dart Shops & sold Darts Supplies & 8-Ball/Snooker gear on the road & in the Pubs, still love a game, especially with a Beer or Nine.

I follow the Adelaide Crows in the AFL.

Cheers

Phil

51 minutes ago, Old Hippy said:

Have surfed all my life ( 64 yrs old ) but must admit that  its a lot harder these days and less frequent . Other than that I follow NRL (Sharks) and enjoy watching test cricket.

Does anyone else see the irony in Old Hippy being a surfer and following the Sharks? 😉 

• Haha 4