Coopers Community

Breakfast IPA - Masing Cereal Error

lamensterms

Hey guys, 

We made a clone of Shooter McGavin Breakfast IPA yesterday, and stuffed it up unfortunately. 

The recipe has a bunch of cereal (oats, rice bubbles, Nutrigrain & All-Bran), and we use a Robobrew - so I wanted to keep all that out of the Robobrew (and pump). So... The solution was to mash the grain in the Robobrew, but mash the cereal in a separate pot. Boiled each portion separately and then combined them in the fermenter. Bad move haha

Cereal mash had:

Rolled oats
Flaked maize
Weetbix
Nutrigrain
Rice bubbles
All Bran

I didn't think of it at the time, but have since realised that we also needed base malt in the cereal mash for the starch conversion enzymes.  So now we have a batch of wort with a lot of unconverted starch

It is done now, but I was just wondering if there is anyway to correct the error? Can we re-mash (and reboil) this wort now that it's all mixed together? Or are the saccharification enzymes destroyed during the boil? Batch lost? 

Thanks for any help guys

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The enzymes are denatured during the boil, so if you wanted to convert those starches in another mash you'd have to add more base malt. 

https://www.keg-king.com.au/wln4100-ultra-firm-10ml-white-labs.html.html?fbclid=IwAR2lPBdz4v78c7svfw7-f4aUDg0bAsDigGd6JwD37ZtEdp8K8uBDhGn9cqc

Might this be worth giving a go?  More base malt too?

Archived