Coopers Community

Air in Beer Line

Beer Baron

Hi Beer Baron.

Sorry to hear of your continued woes around this leak issue.

I'm assuming that line is running to an external tap? Does that fitting swivel, or is it fixed in position?

If so, have you sprayed soapy water both internally & externally around this fitting & observed the 360° view around it spraying multiple times to observe all angles for bubbling?

With the rubber beer lines when you stretch them over the metal fitting they generally thin the rubber as a result. If you clamp it extremely tight it may just be enough to put a small tear in the rubber that might allow some air in.

If you still can't find the leak, remove the tap fitting altogether. Re-assemble it then block both ends & submerge it under water (Blu-tack would probably work OK). If you get any bubbling, the fitting or a seal within in it is probably faulty.

That's all I can think of atm from the photo you've posted.

Good luck sorting it out.

Lusty.

Overcarbonation doesn't usually present like that anyway, with that you get foam in the beer line, not large pockets of air. 

It's gotta be a leak somewhere, although with the pressure from the keg you'd expect it to be leaking beer out rather than sucking air in. 

The only time I see this happen is if I bleed pressure from a keg for some reason. 

It won't be air in the system unless you've got no pressure in the line ,  most likely CO² come out of solution .

How much of the line is gas and how much is beer?  

Any chance it happens much more on a warm day or keg fridge cops direct sunlight?  

Did you put any food grade lube on the washers before install ? As above don't gorilla them tight 

Thanks for the tips fellas. I have tried soapy water on all fittings with no visible leaks. 

The fridge is never in direct sunlight and it always seems to happen no matter what I do.

I might try switching the beer line with the other beer line that works perfectly and take it from there. 

Whatever it is, it’s pretty f$&king annoying.....

That being said, my out connection to the tank does leak just enough that the beer does dry a little making a small controlled nuclear explosion needed to remove the line, so there is some leakage and it would be possible that it acts as a venturi to bring in air.

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe the lines are too long? What is the actual serving pressure you're using? Do you have any check valves or no return valves in the gas lines?

I serve at 75kpa/11psi and line lengths are 3.5m. I don’t have any check valves or return valves 

Archived