Coopers Community

Idea for an experiment ...

King Ruddager

I'd like to take credit for this one but actually the idea is stolen from a Reddit user.

I'm going to brew up a small amount (~10L?) of base wort, split it into five or six batches and then steep small amounts of different crystal malts and add them to each to taste the differences between them all.

The hard parts will be choosing the crystal. I'll need a control batch to begin with, then probably light, dark, caramunich, caramalt ... oh dear ... I'm going to need a bigger boat (erm, batch)

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

I'd like to take credit for this one but actually the idea is stolen from a Reddit user.

I'm going to brew up a small amount (~10L?) of base wort, split it into five or six batches and then steep small amounts of different crystal malts and add them to each to taste the differences between them all.

The hard parts will be choosing the crystal. I'll need a control batch to begin with, then probably light, dark, caramunich, caramalt ... oh dear ... I'm going to need a bigger boat (erm, batch)

I like it!! 

It would be great to see your tasting video 

Supernova? Never heard of it.

Let's think about this a bit more though. I want each mini-batch to be a bit over 2L to comfortably get 5 bottles (probably 2x740mL PETs and a 330mL stubbie). If use 450g of base ale per mini-batch in 1.9L I can steep 30g of crystal in 200mL (because it's a bit easier to measure out than 100).  That would be 94% base, 6% crystal - which is good I think - and an OG of around 1.047.

Ok, so I guess to make 8 I'll need to make 16L of the base, just to be safe. I should be able to handle that in my 19L pot, or I use a bit less base and add 500g DME to give it a boost. Simples.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, I think in the end with this I'll be boring and go light, medium, dark, caramalt and caramunich.

Another thought though ... it's actually going to be quite difficult for me to deal with the bittering hops in this one, in terms of getting them out of my big pot before they go into the "fermenters". I guess I'll have to strain into another large container first to ensure consistency. That might even mean putting them into a fermenter and "bottling" from there, which could have a couple of advantages actually. Perhaps I'll go with that.

It's always good to think of these things ahead of time!

• Like 2

I would like to advocate for including crystal wheat in your tests. I have been using it in my last few batches. As I partial masher I like it because I can kill two birds with one stone: get some medium crystal and wheat in one grain. Makes some nice head and leaves more room in my partial mash for other grains.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...