Coopers Community

S&W pacific ale recipe

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Good job!

I usually do it once I know fermentation is finished or within a couple of points.

Sweet will do.

How many days with the hops in the FV do you recommend? I seem to see 4 days a lot but not too sure myself.

Thanks for the help :).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put them in and cold crash around the same time. That usually takes 3-5 days depending on when I get a chance to bottle. 4 days should be plenty. Too long can supposedly lead to grassy flavours, but I am yet to encounter that personally. I have seen people advocate for shorter times than that too but I usually stick to the 3-5. 

No problem at all. It's always a popular beer when I make it. I hope you enjoy yours 🍻

4 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Due to my fifo lifestyle I also cold crash and dry hop at the same time. For 5-6 days. 

Even though I do this, I still think for better results is to dry hop at 14c, for 3-4 days then cold crash. I reckon it’s gives a poppier aroma.

I have felt that dry hopping for a day or two at fermentation temp seems to get me better aroma and flavours then dry hopping during cold crash, but I havent tested it or anything so purely talking out my a$$ here, just how I perceived it between batches.

I generally drop them in at day 9 due to my 14 day brewing and kegging schedule with a cold crash of 4 days, so it gets 1 full day at normal temp before it gets dropped down to 1.5c.  I used to worry about getting the hops in and out before 3 days but I have never experienced grassiness from dry hopping, even with galaxy, but I have never left them in for longer than 7 days.

Awesome looks like I'll try and get them in just as it hits FG then cold crash for 3-4ish days before bottling.

What are your schedules for cold crashing an ale? Do you drop it straight down to 2-3C or slowly bring it down? I am using US-05 @18C if that changes anything.

Cold Crashing with that yeast won't effect the secondary fermentation at all will it?

Thanks again 😀

43 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

Awesome looks like I'll try and get them in just as it hits FG then cold crash for 3-4ish days before bottling.

What are your schedules for cold crashing an ale? Do you drop it straight down to 2-3C or slowly bring it down? I am using US-05 @18C if that changes anything.

Cold Crashing with that yeast won't effect the secondary fermentation at all will it?

Thanks again 😀

I drop it straight down to 1.5-2. It’ll take some time and never had an issue.

it wont effect second fermentation. All good there brother.

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

I drop it straight down to 1.5-2. It’ll take some time and never had an issue.

it wont effect second fermentation. All good there brother.

Legend thank you...

Now to play the waiting game. This is what she looks like currently, very nice Krausen and bubbling away.

53781073_441872289887509_1553419736010719232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=d2b6650d208833a383fcae9b19651c04&oe=5D065A25

Yep just drop it straight down for ales. I like to give mine a week before packaging, but 4 days will work. Any less wouldn't really get the full benefit of doing it.

Bear in mind that it'll take about 24 hours for the brew to get down to the cold crash temp so I don't count this first day as part of the cold crash period. In your case it would be 5 days total - 1 day for the temp to drop and 4 days sitting at that temp before bottling.

As above, doesn't affect bottle carbonation, you'll still have plenty of yeast in suspension for that, but you should find less bottle sediment once it's done.

13 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Even though I do this, I still think for better results is to dry hop at 14c, for 3-4 days then cold crash. I reckon it’s gives a poppier aroma.

12 hours ago, Norris! said:

I have felt that dry hopping for a day or two at fermentation temp seems to get me better aroma and flavours then dry hopping during cold crash

I shall give these methods a go and compare. Thanks guys 👍

• 3 weeks later...

So a report back on this brew after tasting. 

Quite a nice beer but definitely more bitter then the standard S&W. Thought that was odd considering all hops were added at flame out, none boiled. 

Maybe it will settle down with some more ageing, not sure. 

20190404_183325.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 3:38 PM, MitchellScott said:

So a report back on this brew after tasting. 

Quite a nice beer but definitely more bitter then the standard S&W. Thought that was odd considering all hops were added at flame out, none boiled. 

Maybe it will settle down with some more ageing, not sure. 

I would actually say that the bitterness that your experiencing is not from Alpha Acids then, with hops like Galaxy there is other very soluble parts to the hop that impart bitterness but is not actually able to be measured as easily as isomerised alpha acids are (ibu’s) These will fade slightly but you’ll probably drink them all before it fades enough. 

Still, looks like a cracker of a beer. Enjoy them, then brew another batch 

42 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I would actually say that the bitterness that your experiencing is not from Alpha Acids then, with hops like Galaxy there is other very soluble parts to the hop that impart bitterness but is not actually able to be measured as easily as isomerised alpha acids are (ibu’s) These will fade slightly but you’ll probably drink them all before it fades enough. 

Still, looks like a cracker of a beer. Enjoy them, then brew another batch 

Thanks for the tip. So you would recommend using less of the hop in a future brew? Or just less at flameout?

Thanks, Mitch.

9 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Thanks for the tip. So you would recommend using less of the hop in a future brew? Or just less at flameout?

Thanks, Mitch.

So there’s a balancing act on how to add hops to your desired outcome. 

Was there enough taste of the hop? You could reduce it to a point where there is enough taste you desire with also reducing the bitterness. 

Reduce the temp at which you add the hops, this will reduce the isomerised bittering acids, below 80c they will no longer isomerise, but not reduce the other bitter producing compounds. 

Hope that makes sense

54 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

So there’s a balancing act on how to add hops to your desired outcome. 

Was there enough taste of the hop? You could reduce it to a point where there is enough taste you desire with also reducing the bitterness. 

Reduce the temp at which you add the hops, this will reduce the isomerised bittering acids, below 80c they will no longer isomerise, but not reduce the other bitter producing compounds. 

Hope that makes sense

There is definitely good hop taste and aroma, but the bitterness sort of overpowers it.

I think its just a trial and error situation, I'll definitely give it another crack in the future and see if I can get it right :).

Trial and error is basically how I arrived at my hop timings for hoppy ales. 

A little while after I moved into all grain, I read a few times about moving hop additions forward to account for the extra bitterness contribution due to cubing the wort rather than actively chilling it after the boil. I didn't really take a lot of notice because I wasn't finding my beers were too bitter. The only issue I had was the hop flavour wasn't quite where I wanted it.

While it has some merit, it's not a one size fits all situation. Rather than create recipes with certain hop timings and then move them on brew days, I simply played around with the late boil additions until I found what worked best for my tastes. 

Once I got to that point, I didn't even think about the effect of no chill when making recipes because I knew that the way I did the hop additions would have the beer turn out as I wanted it to. 

Yep. Plus one to what Otto is saying. 

There are so many contributors with beer that it definitely isn’t one size fits all. 

I cant remember what version my pacific ale sits at but it would be around 9 and I still haven’t got it to where I want it. 

All trail and error.

Archived