Coopers Community

S&W pacific ale recipe

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Norris! said:

I think your quote has the recipe? Did you want it converted to extract?

It would be something like

1 can of coopers liquid light malt extract 1.5kg

1kg of wheat dry malt extract. That should be a 60:40 split.

For the hops it depends on your boil size but something like

Galaxy at 5 minutes and flameout or even better get all your bitterness from a flameout addition of galaxy and then dry hop with 50g as per @Ben 10

recipe.

Let it steep on the flameout for the entire time your brewing software suggests to ensure you are hitting your numbers.

Woops my bad hahaha I didn't read it properly.......

I would need it in an extract version so thanks for your help :).

I think I will try this as I am going to put down a new brew this weekend. I was gonna try the Shark Attack XPA recipe but I think I would prefer this!

I have heard good things about the shark attack and I love a stone and wood, so you cannot go wrong with either recipe.

I like my beers to be a little thinner and crisper and since I don't do AG I usually do add some dextrose instead of being able to control the mash temp to get a crisper beer. I usually go with between 175g and 250g in brews of this style. The wheat will give it some nice body but maybe too much? It depends on what you like to drink. I find this much wheat to be overpowering but that is me and my opinion only. This recipe gets top marks so remember that.

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have heard good things about the shark attack and I love a stone and wood, so you cannot go wrong with either recipe.

I like my beers to be a little thinner and crisper and since I don't do AG I usually do add some dextrose instead of being able to control the mash temp to get a crisper beer. I usually go with between 175g and 250g in brews of this style. The wheat will give it some nice body but maybe too much? It depends on what you like to drink. I find this much wheat to be overpowering but that is me and my opinion only. This recipe gets top marks so remember that.

I do tend to like crisp beers, especially on a hot summers day...

Only one way to learn I guess. Might do that recipe with 200g dextrose and see how it goes.

What are people's opinions on liquid wheat malt extract vs dry wheat malt extract?

This is my plan:

1 can Coopers Light Malt Extract 1.5kg
1kg Wheat Malt Extract not sure whether dry or liquid yet.
75g Galaxy total
200g Dextrose
US-05 Yeast.

500g wheat malt extract boiled in 5L of water (do you think this water amount is ok?)
25g Galaxy added at flameout and steeped for 40min (do you think this time is ok?)
Then 50g Galaxy Dry Hopped around day 4.

What you think? Any recommendations would be appreciated as this is pretty much my first homebrew including hops :).

Cheers!

You might need more bitterness. 

A flame out addition in a 5 litre boil will add some bitterness but not enough to Bitter an entire batch appropriately.

A combo of liquid and dry wheat malt is fine. Both are good.

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You might need more bitterness. 

A flame out addition in a 5 litre boil will add some bitterness but not enough to Bitter an entire batch appropriately.

A combo of liquid and dry wheat malt is fine. Both are good.

Looks like I can get DWME in a 1kg bag whereas the LWME is 1.5kg so might get the dry...

WIll adjusting the water amount change anything? Or would I be better doing something like a 15min 12.5g boil then 12.5g flameout?

Cheers, Mitch.

Just now, MitchellScott said:

What spreadsheet/software do you recommend?

Sorry - new to all this hahaha.

For kit/extract brewing I would go with IanH’s spreadsheet. There is a link on here somewhere or someone can post it again.

15 hours ago, Hairy said:

For kit/extract brewing I would go with IanH’s spreadsheet. There is a link on here somewhere or someone can post it again.

I think I have sort of got my head around the spreadsheet. How do you add a FO addition of hops in the spreadsheet? I can only get boiled amounts in.

I went to my LHBS and got all the ingredients today. Hoping to get it going tomorrow or Sunday :).

Please find screenshot of speadsheet attached.

image.png.08fc010a1f57be051ba2252b3495654f.png

Awesome thanks guys.

What do you think about this?
15g @ 30min
10g @ flameout
50g Dry hop (could go more if needed, what do you think?)

5L boil will 500g DWME.

With added 250g Dextrose we should have a bottled ABV of 4.5% which is spot on to what I want.
IBU's according to the spreadsheet should be just under 20.

image.png.37e28623831c8485212ad333668f60d0.png

4 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Awesome thanks guys.

What do you think about this?
15g @ 30min
10g @ flameout
50g Dry hop (could go more if needed, what do you think?)

5L boil will 500g DWME.

With added 250g Dextrose we should have a bottled ABV of 4.5% which is spot on to what I want.
IBU's according to the spreadsheet should be just under 20.

image.png.37e28623831c8485212ad333668f60d0.png

In my opinion you are wasting the galaxy at 30min, it is a high cohumulene hop that has a lot of tropical aromas and pineapple coming through that will be lost at 30 min and all you will be left with is a harsh bitterness instead of aroma, I would get all the bitterness from late additions. I would go with a 5 minute boil, just for ease and the program you are using, Ian's spreadsheet. Then dry hop with the rest. It will up the amount of hops in the boil.

Someone correct me if I wrong here, but with a 5l boil you should have the hop concentration factor on to compensate for the small boil, I don't use it for 10l boils and up and it seemed to worked fine but always used it for smaller boils?  that would be my only concern but besides that it looks good.

Cheers,

Norris

I would also up the dry hop to 75g to 100g but I like hops, you will still notice the galaxy at 50g.

I also think the SW Tropical ale was highly carbonated, the 2.3 seems low, but that is a personal taste thing, so roll with what you like.

Let us know how it comes out.

Cheers,

Norris

I've got all my brew gear ready to go, gonna get it done tonight as I have a busy weekend...

I'm just trying to workout the boiling of the hops. I can do a 10L boil if necessary, as I said I'm new to the hops situation so didnt know that a bigger boil is better.

If I only boil for 5min even at 45g of hops the spreadsheet only brings up 13.11IBU. So not sure what to do..

If someone has experience with this recipe let me know what worked and I'll copy it.

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

@Popo

I thought you tried to post a recipe, that is why I laughed, you were saying you tried it before, my bad!

Haha - I thought I did post it. I dunno what happened - I'd laugh too haha. Though I do that with emails more regularly than I'd like to admit.

Here's what I meant to post, though it's probably void now 😜

Good luck with the beer. 

Bring the boil to 10l it will save hops and follow the link Popo left, it shows Ben used 50g in a flameout no chill cube addition, so yes 45g is still not enough when you are not boiling a full batch.

when you change the boil to 10l it will bring the total hops down to reach the needed bitterness compared to 5l boil.

Just do it. It will be a good beer.

26 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Bring the boil to 10l it will save hops and follow the link Popo left, it shows Ben used 50g in a flameout no chill cube addition, so yes 45g is still not enough when you are not boiling a full batch.

when you change the boil to 10l it will bring the total hops down to reach the needed bitterness compared to 5l boil.

Just do it. It will be a good beer.

Thanks mate.

Going to KMart now to get a 15L stainless pot i thought i had one but didn't lol...

Archived