Coopers Community

S&W pacific ale recipe

9 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

From reading this post a few times it would appear that the 1st recipe posted initially by the OP Soundawake is the pick of them...

It's on my to do list.

Yeah was going to roll with the first one.

Not sure if the question about subbing the DWME to liquid was answered. Thoughts on that?  

I tried Soundawake's recipe in pursuit of the perfect Pacific Ale.   I found it to come out too bitter. I also tried @Ben 10's version.

Ben 10 nailed it.  None of the Galaxy was boiled.  From memory 60% pale ale malt, 40% wheat.  25g Galaxy at flameout, 25g cube hop and 50g dry hop.

Could be replicated for an extract brewer that doesn't have access to a full-boil system, just need to plug the numbers into some software like IanH's spreadsheet to get the right hop amounts.

My recommendation is to not boil Galaxy for this recipe (or ever).  30min steep extracts plenty of bitterness and flavour too.

• Like 2

I think Soundawakes recipe was pretty good except I moved the hops from 30min down to 5 minutes and adjusted to bring the bitterness to 25ibus with half coming from 5min and the rest from flameout.  I also reduced the wheat amount to only 500g because I dont like wheat that much and subbed in pilsner malt, carapils, and 150g of dextrose to thin out the LME, for my tastes.

I did a 100g dry hop of galaxy and used M54 yeast, I wanted a clean profile but honestly I think the yeast is another taste preference thing, use what you like. 

I would give it a go and adjust as you see fit. I would up the dry hop amount and remove the 30 min boil at least. No offense to Soundawake, it is a solid recipe, but galaxy and the cohumulene makes long boils harsh for the bitterness even with just 5g....well that amount is bugger all, but I feel that 5g is better used later in the boil, but that is just my 2cents.

Let's us know how it goes and what you decide.

Norris

10 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Have not tasted Galaxy hops yet. I am still waiting for my LHBS to start carrying Galaxy.  🤨

Cheers,

Christina.

Where have you been living Christina? Only joking. 

I am actually surprised by that though. Its one of the hops I keep in my freezer all the time. Looking forward to hearing how your next brew day goes using Galaxy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yakima valley hops has it if you want to buy online

I have never ordered from them as I suspect shipping would be very expensive, to get them across the border, plus priced in US$. But I should probably confirm that, so based on your encouragement (thanks) I took a look. They are out of stock. I see they have Waimea in stock, which BlackSands is always talking about, and Vic Secret.  What are your top Southern Hemisphere hops suggestions?

Cheers,

Christina.

That's why I always order 4 pounds, so the shipping cost is spread out more. It wouldn't be worth it for only a small amount though. Funnily enough, I also haven't used Galaxy in my 7 years of brewing. This season's harvest hasn't happened here yet, which is probably why they're out of stock. It should be happening in the next couple of months, then they'll probably start appearing. 

I haven't used a lot of southern hemisphere hops yet but I really like Vic Secret, that one I think will become a regular hop for me. 

5 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Vic Secret looks interesting. Sounds like a toned down version of Galaxy?

I found it has some nice tropical aromas & flavours reminiscent of mango when mixed in with a suitable hop bill & used at various late points of the boil & dry hopping. It's deeper side has a resiny trait that is great in beers like IPA's.

http://www.hops.com.au/downloads/141120 HPA Vic Secret Product Sheet.pdf

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 12:51 PM, MitchBastard said:

Howdy, I came across this post from 2011.

just wondering if anyone here has done this, something like it and what changes could/should be made to this one? Or if someone has a better one, I’d be keen to have a go....

Hey mate, I gave this a similar go in the craft fermenter:

Pretty tasty!

Batch #7 - Petey’s Pacific

10/11/18 - Pitched US05 at 18c

Steeped 150g Munich Wheat Malt - 70c for 20 mins

Boiled Black Rock unhopped  wheat malt 1.7kg for 48 mins with ~7g Galaxy hop

Flameout 15g galaxy hop - 10 mins 

Specific Gravity - 1.044

14/11/18 - Dry hopped around 30g of Galaxy

14/11/18 - Gravity 1.013

Bottled 19/11/18 - Final Gravity 1.007

i should add that it was about 10lt, not 8.5

Edited by beerdeluxe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, joolbag said:

I tried Soundawake's recipe in pursuit of the perfect Pacific Ale.   I found it to come out too bitter. I also tried @Ben 10's version.

Ben 10 nailed it.  None of the Galaxy was boiled.  From memory 60% pale ale malt, 40% wheat.  25g Galaxy at flameout, 25g cube hop and 50g dry hop.

Hey Jools, I want to give this one a go next week, do you think it would it be pilsner malt or pale

cheers

john

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 9:22 PM, worry wort said:

so this recipe doesn't use a coopers brew as a base, its all from the malt extracts? this is new to me, sorry for the dumb question.

That's exactly right. No pre-hopped cans. This makes it an extract brew as opposed to a kit/kilo or kits & bits brew.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:29 PM, joolbag said:

Could be replicated for an extract brewer that doesn't have access to a full-boil system, just need to plug the numbers into some software like IanH's spreadsheet to get the right hop amounts.

My recommendation is to not boil Galaxy for this recipe (or ever).  30min steep extracts plenty of bitterness and flavour too.

Where can I find Ben 10's recipe?

Thanks, Mitch.

I think your quote has the recipe? Did you want it converted to extract?

It would be something like

1 can of coopers liquid light malt extract 1.5kg

1kg of wheat dry malt extract. That should be a 60:40 split.

For the hops it depends on your boil size but something like

Galaxy at 5 minutes and flameout or even better get all your bitterness from a flameout addition of galaxy and then dry hop with 50g as per @Ben 10

recipe.

Let it steep on the flameout for the entire time your brewing software suggests to ensure you are hitting your numbers.

• Like 2