Coopers Community

Where does all the knowledge come from?

Marty_G

17 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

.... where does this wealth of knowledge come from? 

In that case of some "knowledge" I read from time to time I think some people just make it up on the spot!    😁    

There's 'knowledge', and then there facts!  😉

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

In that case of some "knowledge" I read from time to time I think some people just make it up on the spot!    😁    

wow ... your brew must be supercharged ... 

Lots of good advice and further reading, but I think it's important to point out you don't need lots of acquired information to maker good beer early on - especially with kits, which are easy.  The knowledge is acquired through getting on and brewing, and learning from the odd mistake. Everything I've brewed so far has been a drinkable beer. 

You'll be surprised how much better any kits can get with a box of the standard brewing sugars and some extra malt, and a load of beer-style specific hops thrown in after a few days of fermenting.

5 hours ago, jackgym said:

What you can't pick up about brewing in this forum isn't worth knowing.

Jackgym has already reached a level of contentment & enlightenment with his brewing.  Coincidentally these are both mentioned as ideal levels of attainment in the religion of Buddhism. (I think?)

Given Jackgym's Avatar pic, I'm guessing he is a loyal follower. 😉

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

21 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Can't say I agree with it though,

This is the bit (in various connotations) I can't help but put into my posts sometimes because I've become an opinionated ASS on some subjects. I don't mean to do it, I just can't help it in some lines of conversation. 🤓

25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...there's a lot of very useful information in places other than this forum. But if he's happy with what he's doing that's all that matters. It all depends on how deep into the rabbit hole one wants to go 😎

That is close to the way I'm trying to post as a rule. Just leave the negative personal vibe out where I can.

Cheers,

Lusty.

17 hours ago, BlackSands said:

#FakeNews.... Some of these facts here are the best facts,  they really are coconuts in waffles!! 

#MakeBeerGreatAgain!!  

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Jackgym has already reached a level of contentment & enlightenment with his brewing.  Coincidentally these are both mentioned as ideal levels of attainment in the religion of Buddhism. (I think?)

Given Jackgym's Avatar pic, I'm guessing he is a loyal follower. 😉

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes Lusty, that's about where I am.  

And I didn't get that gut from drinking pissy Coronas. 😏

7 hours ago, Beerlust said:

This is the bit (in various connotations) I can't help but put into my posts sometimes because I've become an opinionated ASS on some subjects. I don't mean to do it, I just can't help it in some lines of conversation. 🤓

That is close to the way I'm trying to post as a rule. Just leave the negative personal vibe out where I can.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty, your opionations (is that a word?)😀are quite welcome.

But there will always be someone who must slip in the negative personal vibe. 

It's in their DNA. Best ignored. 😜

I learnt a lot from the helpful people on this forum, and reading John Palmers how to brew, i also learnt heaps from Youtube watching guys like:

Little John
Gashslugg
Make beer easy
Fast homebrew
Dr Hans
Tubedinoz
and lots more

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 9:30 PM, MUZZY said:

Great advice, Norris. KISS principle - keep it simple, stupid.
I'm still very much a kit & kilo brewer and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I tried experimenting probably a bit too soon for my level of experience and made a beer that would get a Blue Whale drunk on 2 bottles. It tasted ok but not good. I then reckoned with myself, "Muzz, what makes you think you, a bus driver that K&K brews, can improve on a company's recipes that's been making beers for over a century?"

Nothing wrong, and everything right, with staying with kit and kilo brewing. 

No need to do anything else if you're, like me, happy with a great kit-produced beer that's every bit as good as a craft product. 

As you quoted, it's the KISS principle - keep it simple, stupid.

Everyone generally gets to a point where they're happy and stays there. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with venturing further either. 

I remember watching a video of all grain brewing back when I was making kit/extract beers and thinking I'd never get into that. Then I found out about BIAB and decided to have a go. I could progress to a 2 or 3 vessel system but I'm happy with what I've got and what I'm producing. I don't believe having a multi vessel system would make any better beer than I currently make.

2 hours ago, Hermoor said:

I've learnt lots here reading from others experience then trying it myself. 

+1 @Hermoor

Likewise, I started reading this forum about 2 weeks before I pitched my first ever yeast. That brew was the standard os lager with be1 and kit yeast. I guarantee that brew was a heap better than it would have been without reading all the wisdom here...

I had big plans to get into BIAB after about 6 or so batches of kit and kilo but have not yet made the move. Now 20+ brews later..

But slowly buying up all the equipment item by item and soon will be having a crack at it.

Cheers, Lee

Archived