Coopers Community

Where does all the knowledge come from?

Marty_G

I must admit that I am somewhat flabbergasted when i read some of the posts without targeting anyone, there are so many posters with immense  knowledge on brewing, yeasts, cultures, temperature and recipes and just the simple kits .... where does it all come from or is this really a forum for biochemists ...  no seriously fill me in where does this wealth of knowledge come from? 

4 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I must admit that I am somewhat flabbergasted when i read some of the posts without targeting anyone, there are so many posters with immense  knowledge on brewing, yeasts, cultures, temperature and recipes and just the simple kits .... where does it all come from or is this really a forum for biochemists ...  no seriously fill me in where does this wealth of knowledge come from? 

Reading on here is where I learnt plus Google for some specific stuff. The other i learnt from my own experimentation. This site is really good if you want to read and learn. People are very helpful here.

16 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Reading on here is where I learnt plus Google for some specific stuff. The other i learnt from my own experimentation. This site is really good if you want to read and learn. People are very helpful here.

+1.  Given the Coopers culture... which expresses you should post on here as if you were sitting in their loungeroom, and they finance the site with a freedom of expression I have seen nowhere else, attracts not only Coopers employees but a wide range of extremely talented brewers who would not participate in 'any' forum.

Me, I just love these guys who have taught me everything from Cooper Kits to now All Grain.

Cheers

57 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I know how you feel, Marty, and I've posted some photos to confirm this.
The first image is the baking version of the brewers on here. The second image is the baking representation of my home brewing. 😄

pr3.jpg

images.jpg

5 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I know how you feel, Marty, and I've posted some photos to confirm this.
The first image is the baking version of the brewers on here. The second image is the baking representation of my home brewing. 😄

pr3.jpg

images.jpg

Hear you loud and clear but boy I think I can rock that packet mix as i say I think I can ....  

A lot of brewing, reading and experimenting.  I take advice and what is out there and then try it myself on my system and see what works and why and adjust and add what suits.

Brewing is a journey really, some things are tried and true and should be followed but some paths, like boil times, hops, grain selection, and yeast can lead down paths few have ventured, sometimes for good reason, haha, but sometimes you find something that is awesome and really works for you and maybe for others. So basically keep at it and keep learning your craft and these things will become second hand for you. I focused on hops and how to use them at first and then branched out to grains and what they bring to the table. I am no way an expert but I feel most things come down to the process and the controls; ingredients and how they are used. Most issues can be found here. At first keep the recipes simple and work out your processes and add key bits to work on a issue or recipe you are trying to crack.  That should solve most issues quickly, but when you are new and using 100 ingredients and new techniques and then the brew is bad it is hard to pinpoint an issue, not saying you do this.

I also watch a lot of YouTube videos to see how others brew. It helps with questions I might of had or things I never even considered.  Main thing find beers you like and try to make those.

Cheers

Norris

Great advice, Norris. KISS principle - keep it simple, stupid.
I'm still very much a kit & kilo brewer and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I tried experimenting probably a bit too soon for my level of experience and made a beer that would get a Blue Whale drunk on 2 bottles. It tasted ok but not good. I then reckoned with myself, "Muzz, what makes you think you, a bus driver that K&K brews, can improve on a company's recipes that's been making beers for over a century?"

When I first started I read everything I could get my hands on from published books etc so that it was “truthful.” Like How to brew by John Palmer. 

I then started listening to podcasts from BeerSmith, Experimental Homebrew among other ones. BeerSmith was really good because it gives you the technical side in a easy to understand format. 

The ones with the “pope of foam” on them are invaluable. 

The Forum is the highlight of this Coopers site.  The breadth of knowledge is amazing.  Folks who are happy to answer the same question from whoever is the next noob (read me).  I used to just look for the topics when I needed advice.  Now I follow the posts daily.  The only problem with that is that I cannot keep up with the inspiration from the various posters.

Some of the knowledge is quite detailed and over my head.  But for those who like that, it is there if you want it.  One of the beauties of the Forum is that it is useful for brewers of all experience levels.

Much appreciation to the regular expert posters and those at my capability level who just drop in their views and experience which is just as helpful.

Cheers Shamus

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Forum is the highlight of this Coopers site.  The breadth of knowledge is amazing.  Folks who are happy to answer the same question from whoever is the next noob (read me).  I used to just look for the topics when I needed advice.  Now I follow the posts daily.  The only problem with that is that I cannot keep up with the inspiration from the various posters.

Some of the knowledge is quite detailed and over my head.  But for those who like that, it is there if you want it.  One of the beauties of the Forum is that it is useful for brewers of all experience levels.

Much appreciation to the regular expert posters and those at my capability level who just drop in their views and experience which is just as helpful.

Cheers Shamus

Spot on, SOS.
I can call you that, can't I ? 🙂

SOS has nailed it. We all started with Brew number one. It is good to share and yeap no one has perfected the art of brewing.

We all strive for the best brew that appeals our individual tastes.

You can accept or reject any advice offered up and go your own way. FFS some crap advice on the internet/any forum.

Reading a book or two on brewing is useful and probably best plan A.

Viva la difference, said in the worst possible French accent I can conjure up!!

Cheers

8 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

When I first started I read everything I could get my hands on from published books etc so that it was “truthful.” Like How to brew by John Palmer. 

I then started listening to podcasts from BeerSmith, Experimental Homebrew among other ones. BeerSmith was really good because it gives you the technical side in a easy to understand format. 

Thanks i like podcasts as i am one of the very fortunate people in the world who learn by listening ... 

9 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Palmer has made a few revisions to " How to Brew " as mistakes were revealed / better understanding became available. 

I think it's a credit to a man to publicly admit he was wrong .

"Pope of foam" is a great title for a man who's not only highly knowledgeable but also an engaging speaker and author .

As much as I detest the argument from authority if an article or book is written by 

John Palmer 

Chris White 

Charlie Bamforth 

You can almost just accept it as fact 

48 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Palmer has made a few revisions to " How to Brew " as mistakes were revealed / better understanding became available. 

I think it's a credit to a man to publicly admit he was wrong .

"Pope of foam" is a great title for a man who's not only highly knowledgeable but also an engaging speaker and author .

As much as I detest the argument from authority if an article or book is written by 

John Palmer 

Chris White 

Charlie Bamforth 

You can almost just accept it as fact 

Totally agree. With a lot of what is said, if I can try it out I’ll give it a go to see for myself, then experience will tell me otherwise. 

I’m going to get the most revised how to brew soon. Also the next book will be water. Then the rest of that series I haven’t read. 

2 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

just googles it and 1st thing that popped up was a free PDF version....score ... 

16 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Hello MartyG.

Firstly, nice Steve Austin (6 million dollar man) re-creation pic for your avatar. 😜

latest?cb=20130712085103

My own knowledge has come from a lot of reading, experimenting, adapting, & trying new things. I also had/have a lot of help from members of this forum along with other forums I have been a part of over the last 7 or so years.

There is an enormous amount of information out there on the WWW these days, & it is just matter of your own interest level as to much of it you wish to seek out & use with your brewing.

Cheers & best of luck with your brewing moving forward,

Lusty.

Archived