Coopers Community

Using Mosaic

Interesting question Captain, about cube hopping. I don't no chill. Is all air expelled? If so it makes sense that volatiles would be forced back into solution within a cube. 

Glad to hear that you have a 100% success rate using Centennial as a buttering hop. Is that on bread? 😆

Cheers,

Christina.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I am not certain if geraniol accounts for the residual citrus notes of Centennial when used for bittering, but it may be a possibility. If so, it might make an ideal bittering hop for fruity beers such as IPAs, NEIPAs, APAs, and even beers with real fruit additions, due to its exceptionally high geraniol level. This fruitiness may be enhanced when high 4MMP hops are used for low temperature hop stands and dry hoppping. The flash point of 4MMP is 64C.

Hi Christina, 

So what I'm hearing is that my all-Centennial DIPA based on the original Stone Ruination recipe would be even better if I added Mosaic (or another 4MMP-heavy hop) into the mix too? I think I just might have to give it a go for my next all-grain batch.

Thanks! 

John 

2 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Hi Christina, 

So what I'm hearing is that my all-Centennial DIPA based on the original Stone Ruination recipe would be even better if I added Mosaic (or another 4MMP-heavy hop) into the mix too? I think I just might have to give it a go for my next all-grain batch.

Thanks! 

John 

Yes. But if you want to keep the focus on Centennial, you might only need to use the 4MMP heavy hop in the DH. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

44 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Centennial + Mosaic = nom nom 

Centennial + Mosaic + Citra = Om nom nom 

Bitter with magnum and I need some private time 

What are you saying Mark, that you like bittering with Magnum better than bittering with Centennial?

Cheers,

Christina.

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

What are you saying Mark, that you like bittering with Magnum better than bittering with Centennial?

Cheers,

Christina.

Magnum or any clean bittering hop,  only so I can get better bang for my buck and keep my tasty hops as late and dry additions .

5 minutes ago, Mark D Pirate said:

...or any clean bittering hop,  only so I can get better bang for my buck and keep my tasty hops as late and dry additions .

I've always found this notion quite bizarre, as it creates a 'generic' (for a better word) backend bitterness with no obvious residual traits across all the styles you then use this philosophy with.

I can understand some styles where the bitterness area becomes less important, but all styles?

Lusty.

12 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Interesting question Captain, about cube hopping. I don't no chill. Is all air expelled? If so it makes sense that volatiles would be forced back into solution within a cube. 

Yeah all air is expelled from the cube then “canned.”

12 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

buttering hop. Is that on bread? 😆

God damn autocorrect!

Oddly enough, if we could make a debittered hop butter I’d be one toast eating mofo.

This is the recipie I have deducted from advise. 

The Columbus addition I am unsure of but may just swap that out for centennial. Holding back on making a big beer, but also I think I am over complicating a simple beer. I have another one to make before i get this one in the kettle.

Screenshot_20190205-203257.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-203303.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-203311.jpg

Sorry for the dump question Gully, but I am not familiar with your software / screen shot. When it says steep 5 minutes, or steep 10 minutes, what does that mean? Does it mean you are adding those hops at FO and steeping for 5 or 10 minutes, or that you are waiting for 5 minutes or 10 minutes after FO before adding them to the hop stand, and if so how long are you letting them steep after adding them?

Cheers,

Christina.

Beersmith 3 app, I have taken that as FO addition and steep for 10 mins then after 5min add the next addition for 5mins. Then I'll cube and cool down as quickly as possible passed the 80deg point.

I am not sure this is the best method but given my experience, very little, it works for me. I would like to learn different techniques but that will come with experience.

Archived