Coopers Community

Fruity beer

davids47

Iam wanting to make a fruity beer with peach and  and nectarine overtones

was thinking about 

1.7k can Canadian or Mexican for base and bittering (dont like to bitter)

1kg of Dry amber malt for colour and body

and looking at using galaxy for my hops

can any one help out with hop setup how much and boil times

and yeast

make around 21lt

9 hours ago, davids47 said:

can any one help out with hop setup how much and boil times

Hi David

I have done a Bootmaker Pale Ale with Galaxy hops.  I called it Moonboot Pale Ale.  Tasted really nice.

I boiled 2 litres of water with 200 grams of Light Dry Malt.  Turned off the heat and steeped 40 grams of Galaxy for 20 minutes in mini-wort.  This process adds taste and aroma but virtually no extra bitterness.

I did a dry hop of 40 grams of Galaxy on the 7th day of fermenting.  This step adds aroma.

Cheers Shamus

Yep.  Citrus, tropical and to a lesser extent stone fruit.  Comparatively speaking I have only used a few varieties of hops.  In my limited use I have found Cascade to give me some of the nicest results.

Others will have more robust advice.  It probably depends if David is looking for a particular aroma/flavour outcome or if he just wants to try Galaxy.

Galaxy
13% to 15%
IPA, Pale Ale
Citra, Amarillo,
Centennial
Tropical
passionfruit, citrus hints
of peach, mango. Similar to Citra
but more fruity, less dank.

It was just i saw galaxy in my hop chart and it looked good with peach ,never used it before ,but open to suggestions,
Have made Beers with citra hops and like them, but wanted to try something different Once the weather cools down

On 1/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I boiled 2 litres of water with 200 grams of Light Dry Malt.  Turned off the heat and steeped 40 grams of Galaxy for 20 minutes in mini-wort.  This process adds taste and aroma but virtually no extra bitterness.

I did a dry hop of 40 grams of Galaxy on the 7th day of fermenting.  This step adds aroma.

Was that for a 23 litre batch or a smaller 8.5? Just wondering about the amount of hops. I did something similar, based on a Mr Beer Northwestern Pale Ale. Boiled 250g unhopped malt extract pale, 250g light DME and 1 litre of water, added 25g Galaxy hops and simmered for 10 minutes, then put in a water bath for 15 minutes to cool, then strained into the fermenter. On day 7 I added another 25g of Galaxy. I bottled it on the weekend, so I can't tell what it is like but it tasted quite nice and fruity before bottling and the smell was just very citrusy. I'm looking forward to the finished product in about 2-3 weeks time...although I will undoubtedly sample a tester after about a week to see the progress.

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Was that for a 23 litre batch or a smaller 8.5?

Hi AK

My amounts were for a 23 litre batch.  I have read that the rule of thumb for hop boils/steeps is 100g of malt per 1 litre of water.  This gives a Specific Gravity of just under 1.040.  Your example would be quite a bit more.  However, I do not know how a higher gravity mini-wort effects hop effect.

Cheers Shamus

Archived