Coopers Community

High gravity efficiency

King Ruddager

Depends how high the gravity is, or more to the point the weight of grain usef. I normally run about 75% for high 1.040s-low 1.050s brews with about 5kg grain for a 25 litre batch, but obviously it drops as the weight goes higher. Rather than base it off the intended OG, I use the weight of grain against the batch volume. I made a stout a couple of years ago with just over 7kg grain, in that case I reduced the efficiency to 63% but ended up getting 69%. The more recent one I did I kept that in mind and used 65 or 66% I think, for almost 9kg grain, and ended up getting 68% in reality. Both of those batches were 21 litres. 

I didn't really use any calculation to come to those efficiency figures I worked with for constructing the recipes, just educated guesses. 

Hey @Greeny1525229549 I looked up my brew log and my numbers reflect yours. OG = 1.068 and I got 65.3% efficiency. I usually get 75% for 1.050ish. BUT that IPA I used a different pilsner malt which was smaller in size, and a kilo and a bit of Rye, which is very different in shape. Hadn't brewed with rye before

42 minutes ago, joolbag said:

Hey @Greeny1525229549 I looked up my brew log and my numbers reflect yours. OG = 1.068 and I got 65.3% efficiency. I usually get 75% for 1.050ish. BUT that IPA I used a different pilsner malt which was smaller in size, and a kilo and a bit of Rye, which is very different in shape. Hadn't brewed with rye before

Do you have a robobrew @joolbag? Not a bad piece of equipment but after 80 or so batches through it it does have its limitations. Saying that i have made some awesome brews with it. I am close to biting the bullet and going a 3V system and the robobrew will be there for the sparge. With the 3V i can do anything i want plus get much better efficiency for those bigger brews.

@Greeny1525229549 I have made my own little ghetto system from a second hand 33Lpot, a three ring gas burner I had for outside cooking, a BIAB, etc. Its a 1V, but definitely not a Robobrew. I guess I didn't expect to love brewing as much as I did, so started on the cheap. It still works and is producing beers that have podiumed so I see no reason to change! In my little house and shed I have no room for a 3V, was just chatting to a friend about it the other day

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone advise me if the use of different grains effects mash efficiency.

E.g..

• 3.4kg Maris + 1kg Vienna

Compared to

• 3.4kg Export Pilsner + 1kg Wheat

Same total weights. If both mashed in same amount of water (32L) at same 65c/60m, will the OG therefore efficiency be the same?

Archived