Coopers Community

Cacao nibs

Hoppy81

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, James Lao said:

Hey BB,

How did the Stout with Cacao nibs turn out?

I am planning a stout and was thinking about adding cacao nibs

Cheers

James

Mine worked great mate. I put the cacao nibs in with 15 minutes left on the boil. The packet was 250g, i think next time I'll do 400g though

FB_IMG_1577965407899.jpg

• Like 1

Do you crack them or just put them straight in whole ?

I am doing extract / stove top boils etc, and was reading about steeping them in bourbon for a bit and pouring the liquid and nibs   in like a dry hop..?

Not sure how long to steep them for though..?

Boiling could be an option as well.

Like a late addition hop boil I suppose ..?

Cheers

James

11 hours ago, James Lao said:

Cheers Hoppy,

Thats a bloody nice looking stout by the way mate!

Got me thirsty just looking at it!

James

The vanilla was very intense for the first few months but now it's aged 8 months it is sensational 👍

Were the cacao nibs from  a homebrew store or just from a supermarket?

Just looking at the ones from Woolies and it says they are 49% fat?

Thought this would be bad for head retention etc?

Is that why the brulosophy fella roasts his at 120 degC for 20 mins to get the oils out?

Cheers

James

3 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Were the cacao nibs from  a homebrew store or just from a supermarket?

Just looking at the ones from Woolies and it says they are 49% fat?

Thought this would be bad for head retention etc?

Is that why the brulosophy fella roasts his at 120 degC for 20 mins to get the oils out?

Cheers

James

Straight from Woolies mate, as you can see with the picture on the previous post, head retention was not an issue.

Screenshot_20200104-125153_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I have had the 250g of cacao nibs steeping in 250ml of Gentlemen Jacks, for 2 days now.

Everything I have read on adding them this way (whisky and all), says to do it once fermentation has finished.

I am at about 1.016 and was expecting to get to 1.012, if I add the whisky and nibs now will it shock/kill the yeast, before it has finished off the last bit of fermentation??

Or is alcohol only bad for yeast before it has ‘woken’  and started to actually make the alcohol?

Like how you rehydrate yeast in water then wort but not beer etc?

Dont want to ruin a good beer by jumping the gun with the whisky/cacao nibs tincture.

Cheers

James

Hiya, 

I'm really liking the idea of a stout and adding cacao nibs. I'm new to all this and only done the coopers lager from the kit. If I was to use the coopers extract when and how would i add the cacao? Also did you add vanilla?

Thanks 

12 minutes ago, LC598 said:

Hiya, 

I'm really liking the idea of a stout and adding cacao nibs. I'm new to all this and only done the coopers lager from the kit. If I was to use the coopers extract when and how would i add the cacao? Also did you add vanilla?

Thanks 

Hi LC,

You could boil them and add them to the fermenter at the same time of your extract or you could let them steep in vodka for a couple of days and add at the end of fermentation. I added 2 vanilla beans soaked in vodka for a few weeks at the end of fermentation and let it sit for a few days. Tastes sensational.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Hi LC,

You could boil them and add them to the fermenter at the same time of your extract or you could let them steep in vodka for a couple of days and add at the end of fermentation. I added 2 vanilla beans soaked in vodka for a few weeks at the end of fermentation and let it sit for a few days. Tastes sensational.

Great, thank you 😊 gonna have to give it a go I think.  Sounds really good 

Dropped the nibs and bourbon into fermenter yesterday morning, the smell was amazing - like rum n raisin dark chocolate!

Took a gravity sample later that day (still 1.016), and usually when I take a sample there is a bit of head in the beer that I de-gas.

Usually about 30-40 pumps of the hydrometer and let it settle for about 10 minutes before reading the SG.

But this time the gas bubbles on the head were heaps bigger and dissipated  a lot quicker / easier.

Hope this is not indicative of a head / lacing problem due to the oils in the nibs?

Anyone else (Beer Baron?), who has dry nibbed have any head / lacing issues?

Hoppy boiled his so this would have  gotten rid of the oils?

Spose I will find out in a couple of days after CC and fast carbing the keg.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

• 2 months later...