Coopers Community

The homebrew economy

King Ruddager

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Fair call and great reference. When someone is shaming at work I ask if they are working on the Penske file. Only 1 person ever picked up on that at my old job!

I have a mate that keeps a manila folder on his desk labelled "Penske".  😄

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I thought about this response for a bit, from a few different angles I may have interpreted it as, & a few ways it may have been meant.

Trying to stay constructive, can I ask how many different positions in the boil & post boil have you used Centennial, & in what sorts of beer styles you have used it in?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm trying to lighten the mood and I don't think you're being constructive. I don't count how many times I've used different hops. If you think there's never a purpose for a neutral bittering hop then, fine, I suppose I (and the many amateurs and professionals who use magnum) make inferior beer to yours.

12 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

I'm trying to lighten the mood and I don't think you're being constructive. I don't count how many times I've used different hops. If you think there's never a purpose for a neutral bittering hop then, fine, I suppose I (and the many amateurs and professionals who use magnum) make inferior beer to yours.

Forget I asked.

I won't bother anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno about the home brew "economy" as such. 

From my experience, it appears that friends and relatives expect free beer because they just assume that because it's home brewed, it's cheap as all shit and there's an unlimited supply of it.

Friends ask what I've got brewed all the time because they're always wanting to try it. I appreciate the feedback though. 

I don't make enough to just hand it out like lollies. I make it because it's good fun, the end result is rewarding and it's cheaper than buying cartons, so if I give it away all the time it defeats the purpose...

seen a couple of good responses here, Centeninal got me laughing.

I have a few people i will give bottles to, because they are mate who appricate craft beers.

Il let people try a swig if im drinking something new and they ask.

Other than that, have yet to get a good swap for some beer yet...

Hey karlos

You said you make it "because it's good fun, the end result is rewarding and it's cheaper than buying cartons".  And you also "appreciate the feedback"

I don't think giving it away defeats the purpose at all then!  Don't hand it out like lollies, but perhaps do what I do and carefully consider who you give brew away to.  I swap regularly with another forum member, so I'm getting beer for beer and get to try different styles that I don't brew myself.  I also swap with the mate who got me into brewing in the first place.  Again, a beer for a beer (although I brew more often so he gets a bit more than I get back!)

The work friends and spearfishing friends I give beer to regularly know their stuff so the feedback I get is very valuable.  And I like that I am opening their minds and palates to different styles.  The friends that return clean and dry bottles get favouritism too!

I reckon you guys are just too nice.  Don't be subtle, drop hints that you like trying new beer releases and especially if someone is travelling, tell them you would like them to buy some beer and bring it back.  Most decent human beings would bring a couple of cans or bottles back and not pass on the costs!

My good friend stored my boat on his property for a while so I kept him well plied with beer.  Then I moved the boat and he started making biltong so that was a fair swap.  I make my own biltong now, so the most recent swap is 1kg of passionfruit pulp from his vine.  I am throwing it into a Catharina sour next week when it finishes the main bulk of fermentation.

Workmate is a keen fisherman so I bring in beer and when he gets a good haul, he will bring in clean, white, boneless flathead fillets.

Perhaps you need just need to find less selfish friends!

hEINIKENBAR.jpg

I win.

I scored one of these refrigerated dispensers recently for nothing more than a promise of a home brew or two from a bloke who likes my beer.  It was no good to him, he said, and was taking up room in his shed.  He is a racecourse manager and it was left behind after a cup day marque or the likes.  No kegs or gas bottle but all the lines and disconnects are there.  He also gave me his fermenter.  He says he likes home brew but just doesn't like making it.   

Three cheers for the home brew economy.

🍻

I don't have any problems giving beer away. I took mine to a few BBQs over the last couple of months and worked out pretty quick that no one wants to try home brew. People are polite and interested, but no one is going near it. Outside of circles like this, most people's perception is it's cheap awful crap, made by tightarses.

Save for my craft beer mates, who give great feedback. They rated a couple of my pales highly, and these blokes are snobby, fussy bastards. Dropping a few bottles on those nights is no problem, as they usually bring growlers, and another mate is getting some decent traction selling his premium Gin (he owns a small hotel and got a distillers licence), and he always brings his latest recipe.

The day after sucks. But very few $$ were lost in the process.

That’s cool, Lab Rat.

I’ve been able to swap and trade some bottles here and there and it’s always a good talking point.

We talk better shoulder to shoulder with a common interest. It doesn’t have to be the best beer ever. I also love cooking but I doubt I’ll ever find anymore than 2 mates to share my curry recipies with ‘cos it’s just not what we do.

Now with kegs I have the guys over and just talk shit when we can. They bring something to try but it’s not a judging fest.

I also give my gear away when I’m moving on as well. Fermenters, PET bottles etc. In fact I can probably off load some glass bottles now..

Cheers!

The "advent" of craft brewing has certainly raised the acceptance of new tastes, but acceptance is still limited with the average bar-rail holding, dribbling mega-swiller in the local "hostillery", who still like to go down the well worn road of calling it all sheep dip.

Of all of the people I have provided beer to, the responses have been less than enthusiastic, except from my older son, whom I have now placed on my "beer blocked" list for rampant over-enthusiasm, at the behest of his lovely wife.

My neighbour down the road brews Morgan Draft kits with no particular hygiene or temperature restrictions or considerations.

I asked him what kind of beer he likes after he rejected my lovely hopped up Pales. 

He said "Carlton Draught". I took that as one hellava compliment. Kinda makes you feel proud to be a brewer.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Of all of the people I have provided beer to, the responses have been less than enthusiastic, except from my older son, whom I have now placed on my "beer blocked" list for rampant over-enthusiasm, at the behest of his lovely wife.

Oh man, this sentence was a journey!

4 hours ago, Worthog said:

My neighbour down the road brews Morgan Draft kit

I did one of these a few weeks ago.  Did not follow your neighbour's regime.  Made it light.  3.2%ABV.  Brewed cool with a lager yeast.  I pulled a few bottles of plain ones out before dry hopping the rest.  If you are after the "Carlton Draught" flavour it seemed to come very close (but I have not had CD for a very long time now).  No cider type flavour of the Coopers Lager (but that might be first brew syndrome - no temp control, basic brew can yeast, etc).

It was a good brew, but I prefer the hoppy version below.  No head production/retention issues here, although it is helped by the glass.  The non-dry-hopped version had similar head properties though.

IMG_0992.JPG.c559d60ad3bb19fab979fa989a3d0341.JPG

Archived