Coopers Community

The homebrew economy

King Ruddager

A mate of mine was buying fancy glasses cheap and got two extras for me because he knew he'd like them. That was a week or two ago, and today I was able to pay him back with an almost-full bag of magnum after his delivery didn't arrive today.

Hooray for the economy!

Also, remember to always, ALWAYS have magnum.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If in agreement about the hop & how you choose to use it, both you & your mate have restricted firsthand knowledge of hop varieties & how they can be used in advantageous ways to improve & maximise your overall beer flavours across the board.

Although not an AG'er, I bitter my own beers with a 60min+ boil addition just like the AG'ers do with most of my brews, & have tested many hop varieties at this boil point to see what they throw in terms of bitterness & residual flavour in the final beer.

I think at last count for different hop varieties used I was just over the 100 mark. Can you claim to say the same? 🤔

Enjoy the blandness.

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I swap beers with people and quite enjoy it.

This magnum crap I don't enjoy at all.

A hop I could care less about who uses it. But by those that do, don't perpetuate it as something awesome or something above others for all occasions, because it isn't.

If you say something enough times, people believe in nothing else.

Lusty.

18 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

So does anybody want to talk about the “Homebrew Economy” without swinging their ego?

Hahaha ah love it KR.

Back on topic, the economy is alive and well here. I regularly swap beers with a fellow forum member who handily happens to live one street away! I swap with the mate who got me into homebrewing too. Home brewer we a generous bunch too. I've been able to borrow/donate hops, grain, yeasts, yeast slurry when I or another brewer are short on ingredients. And testing out equipment or new systems too.

I brew more than I consume, so 8 or so 330mL from each batch make their way to work to share with colleagues. They sometimes return the favour with a hard to find or new commercial beer they think I might like. One is a fisherman who brings me flathead fillers when they are running. And everyone gives me constructive feedback, which is the most valuable of all!

I give a lot of beers away:

For constructive feedback, just cause and for some of my family that drink really bad megaswill that I’m trying to change their palate. 

I don’t expect anything in return however one friend always comes round with some fantastic craft beer for tasting 

32 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Hmmm, I thought I said this days ago, but I've used Centennial, so there.

I thought about this response for a bit, from a few different angles I may have interpreted it as, & a few ways it may have been meant.

Trying to stay constructive, can I ask how many different positions in the boil & post boil have you used Centennial, & in what sorts of beer styles you have used it in?

Cheers,

Lusty.

My next batch will be a cider, not sure what kind yet, too trade for some hazelnuts, I think they said a kilo, so I need to get onto that. 

I make ciders a lot simply for the family and friends. It cost about $48-55 dollars a batch for 2 cases and a sixer. I dont ever expect anything in return except feedback and a clean bottle, but the feedback comes easily while the bottles are another story.

If I get a bottle back that is filthy I show them how to clean it, but sometimes I never even see a bottle back!  At that point I am always out of beer?!? Well at least when they are around. Hahah. I hate being a jerk about it but if they cannot bring my bottles back, well my kegs will always be dry😎

47 minutes ago, Norris! said:

If I get a bottle back that is filthy I show them how to clean it, but sometimes I never even see a bottle back!  At that point I am always out of beer?!? Well at least when they are around. Hahah. I hate being a jerk about it but if they cannot bring my bottles back, well my kegs will always be dry😎

If people are giving you back dirty, or no, bottles then you are not the jerk.

And if you are running out of beer just tell them “well the Jerk Store called, they’re running out of you”. I love that episode.

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

If people are giving you back dirty, or no, bottles then you are not the jerk.

And if you are running out of beer just tell them “well the Jerk Store called, they’re running out of you”. I love that episode.

"Yeah, well I had sex with your wife!"

"His wife's in a coma." 😄

Archived