Coopers Community

Aztec gold sediment

Hi guys as a newbie I recently made up a batch of Aztec Gold. 

I believe I followed the recipe fairly faithfully and bottled the brew using Corona stubbies, (355ml)

The brew finishes clear in the bottle after a couple of weeks secondary fermentation. 

My issue is there is a fairly substantial deposit of sediment on the bottom of each bottle. It remains fairly stable and most of the brew can be drunk straight from the stubby without any apparent taste for feel of sediment but there is some residue and you know you've gotta wash that bottle.

I have used Cooper's ingredients right through including the sugar drops.  Do I just wear it as a feature of home brew or is there something I can/should do to eliminate the sediment.

Grateful for your thoughts

Tony O'Neill

Perfectly normal mate. It's just yeast mainly. It settles out after it ferments the priming sugar (drops). Rather than drink it straight from the bottles, you can pour them into a glass with care not to disturb the sediment, and then simply rinse out the empty bottle with hot tap water. Sediment free beer and it will taste better from a glass too 😉

The amount of sediment can be reduced by allowing the brew to sit in the fermenter for a few days after it reaches FG. Another method used is to chill the whole fermenter in a fridge for a few days to a week (known as cold crashing), then bottle the beer, which helps drop more yeast out before bottling. This is done after the few days rest following reaching FG. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've made this brew a few times now and it's my go-to mid-strength. The only thing I do differently from the recipe is I use a lager yeast (W34/70 Saflager) and ferment at lager temperature (12C). After bottling, wait 2 weeks or so for secondary fermentation then put your bottles in the fridge at 5C or so for a month or longer. It's the nicest midstrength lager you could want. I pour the beer into a 700ml pilsener glass so its nice and clear, and drink the last bit with the yeast sediment out of the bottle. Waste not want not.

Archived