Coopers Community

honey in lieu of white sugar

worry wort

Just interested in tweaking a standard KnK.

Would it be possible to use either honey or golden syrup instead of 1kg sugar to a standard 1.7 draught can? If so, how much would be an equivalent amount?  I was thinking 500g and then dry hopping 50g of goldings.

thanks

WW

10 hours ago, worry wort said:

Just interested in tweaking a standard KnK.

Would it be possible to use either honey or golden syrup instead of 1kg sugar to a standard 1.7 draught can? If so, how much would be an equivalent amount?  I was thinking 500g and then dry hopping 50g of goldings.

thanks

WW

Hi WW

A couple of the Coopers recipes with honey in them are:

Beekeeper, Strawberry Blonde, Oval Office Honey Amber and Cleopatra's Asp

All have at least 50:50 LDM or BE to honey.  

Irish Ale has golden syrup

I imagine you could use 1kg of honey instead of 1 kg of sugar.  Not sure if they ferment out the same though.

Cheers Shamus

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 8:25 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I probably wouldn't use it as the entire addition. Use about 200-300g honey or syrup and make up the rest with malt. The beer will be better for it.

Yes, that is good advice. I second it....Have never seen Coopers recommend mixing their kits with a kg of sugar.

A kilo of honey would completely dominate the the brew and make the body pretty thin. In addition, the yeast would likely struggle a bit to ferment that much honey, as it is low in nutrients.

Cheers,

Christina.

• 4 weeks later...

Your experience backs up the above posts. You say initially it was made just with 1.3kg honey and it wasn't very nice. Then after adding a little more plus 500g dry malt extract it improved. It would be the malt extract that has improved it, if you'd just done it with 1.6kg of honey and nothing else it probably would have stayed bland and sour. 

At the end of the day though, large additions of sugars like dextrose, table sugar or honey aren't going to produce as good a beer as using all or a majority of malt. They ferment out pretty much completely and leave no flavour or body, just alcohol. 

I'm glad you're happy with your beer, however it can probably be improved. The first step would be to work out the recipe at the start rather than adding shit after fermentation has finished. I reckon the porter kit with 1kg dry malt and 400-500g of honey wouldn't turn out too badly. 

Archived