Coopers Community

Toucan Stout

Ryano2

4 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Ditto that, except no grain steep and switching the 1kg dex to 1kg BE2 and adding 100g lactose.

Should give the same added mouthfeel and sweetness as the grain steep.

Keen to see how it goes.

Hmmm food for though.  I might just swap out the grains for lactose and see how she goes. 

I was going to use Nottingham yeast but lhbs said they are out. Whats a good yeast to use for stout?

Three down the stout today

Coopers stout and liquid dark malt. 1 kg dex and 250 gms lactose. I rehydrates the Nottingham yeast but then realised the wort temp was 25. I pitched it anyway and put into the fridge. Temp was down to 20 degrees just after an hour so don’t think that pitching temp will majorly have an effect 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Im thinking about brewing one, do you think 4-5 months in the bottle would be ok. Planning ahead for winter. 

4-5 months is bloody heaps, honesty 4-6 seems to do the trick  . Yes stouts ESPECIALLY hard pipe hittin' toucans need a few more days to ferment and a few more weeks to bottle condition , but by 6 weeks its ready to ROCK.  Its mellowed out n got a creamy head . 

if on the other hand do you mean is it TOO LONG in the bottle, hell no , a strong 6% plus stout is good in the bottle for at least a year IF you can not drink it in the meantime 👍🍻😂 20200724_180804.thumb.jpg.eb33f5844624fd37a2194f60c1acab90.jpg

Edited by BreweyMcHops
  • Like 3