Coopers Community

Toucan Stout

Ryano2

48 minutes ago, Ryano2 said:

I got some lactose and I'm just wondering how much to add??

Hi Ryan,

Some Brewers add about 250g of Lactose to sweeten the mix to take away the Tang.

Yes I would bung it in with the Dext.

All the best with the Toucan Stout.

Have you watched the King R's Toucan Stout vid?

Cheers

• Like 1

Never used lactose myself but I have made that recipe before and it is quite a hearty brew. I'm not sure whether lactose would improve it or not, it's not designed as a milk stout. It's up to you but if you do use it, it just gets dissolved and added with the rest of the ingredients at the beginning.

• 1 month later...

I made one recently but used dark malt instead of dex, and real ale instead of dark ale. It turned out pretty good.

Real ale was an accident but result was still excellent.

At the risk of sounding like an ad for Coopers I reckon you cant go wrong with any combo of their kits its all good stuff. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree. When I made it it was the old recipe, the one currently on the website is different. Mine used a tin each of OS stout and dark ale plus 1kg dextrose. It turned out really well, better with age. Wasn't far off the commercial extra stout. I think the current recipe uses a tin of unhopped dark malt extract instead of the dark ale kit, which would probably give a different result.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

I'm gonna keep it simple. Have a tin each of stout and dark ale, with 500g of dextrose lying around. Have 2 jars with harvested CCA yeast so I'll just make it up to 20 ltrs. Ferment at 18 or 21 degrees is the only real question.

I made an attempt at a choc vanilla stout in Feb last year using cocoa and vanilla beans. Even after 12 months it was still shit, too thin, lacking body.

Hopefully the toucan is better. 

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest what the OG would be on the simple Toucan recipe? One dark ale can, one stout can, 1kg dextrose. 

I haven't taken a reading as I'm leaving at 18L for now to see what the krausen does. 

Figured today was an appropriate day to make a stout! 😄

stout.jpg

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

When I made it, the OG was about 1.061

That is exactly what the IanH spreadsheet says for the Toucan Stout into 23L.  

@Silmaril I read on another topic that your were thinking of topping up the brew once the krausen had dropped.  If you do, you will need to revise your OG accordingly.

I dunno about this topping up method. I've got a toucan stout in my FV at the moment and I made it straight up to 21 ltrs and pitched with CCA yeast. The Krausen was big but the collar didn't move and there was no way it was going to overflow. It didn't get anywhere near the lid and from what my hydrometer tells me it's fermenting away perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

I have always started at around 15 litres and topped up to 23 after a few days. My fermenter doesn't have a collar and it has blown out the air lock on one occasion.  You can definitely see when this one is active.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

That is exactly what the IanH spreadsheet says for the Toucan Stout into 23L.  

@Silmaril I read on another topic that your were thinking of topping up the brew once the krausen had dropped.  If you do, you will need to revise your OG accordingly.

Thanks @Shamus O'Sean

Once you mentioned the IanH spreadsheet, I had an 'oh duh' moment, and fired it up myself. As in the recipe thread, I then got curious about other toucan recipes! 

The krausen on my toucan stout was incredible... like brown fairy floss crossed with cumulus clouds! I added 5 litres of water last night to bring it up to 23L.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I’m gonna do a variation of this on Saturday

coopers stout

coopers dark liquid malt extract 

kilo dex

caramunich , oats and chocolate grains steeped 

might taste like shite, might taste nice 

Ditto that, except no grain steep and switching the 1kg dex to 1kg BE2 and adding 100g lactose.

Should give the same added mouthfeel and sweetness as the grain steep.

Keen to see how it goes.

• Like 2