Coopers Community

yeast starter size

Matatak

G'Day everyone,

Just a quick question on yeast starters if anyone can help. I am just about to do my first liquid yeast ( wyeast 1056 ) starter and I am wondering how many litres I should make it ? I kept just under 1.5l of wort from the remainder of my all grain brew yesterday which has come out at 1034 gravity . My volume in fermenter is going to be 23 litres . Is there an easy way to calculate the amount of yeast cells required ? I had a look at the wyeast calculator but I can seem to make sense of it . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

p.s the brew is a citra pale ale 

Cheers Matt 

The temperature of the starter doesn't matter. Although if you are pitching the whole thing rather than decanting most of it first, it may work better to keep the temp down. 

I usually run mine on a stir plate for 24 hours or so, then turn it off and let it sit for another couple of days. Then stir it all up again to harvest some into a jar, and stick the jar and the main starter in the fridge. A day or two later I take the starter and tip most of it out, swirl up what's left and pitch into the batch. Next time I use that strain I make a fresh starter from the yeast in the jar and repeat the process.

I unfortunately dont have a stir plate  or a flask at the moment so I will be shaking it whenever i get the chance.  I will have plenty of wort so I might go with decanting most of the liquid before pitching . I am going to go with around 1.7 litres for the starter, i think it should be about right . I am interested in the idea of re using the yeast ,  how long can that yeast keep in the fridge for the next batch ?

Sorry to add, I think you can do the shaken not stirred method and still harvest from starter, you just might need to up the amount of shaking you do in the first 24 hours. For a normal beer I’ll make a 2l starter on a stir plate and harvest 500ml. I’ve kept for over 3 months before with no issue.

Archived