Coopers Community

Galaxy IPA suggestions

Hi guys,

Just after any recommendations on how I would go about making a galaxy based IPA in a 5ltr boil, together with a Cooper's extract base, up to either 20 or 21 litres.

I'd like to use galaxy only as I've got some on hand. I've got the following extract cans on hand and was wondering which would work best.

2 X mex cervesa

1 X Cooper's APA

1 X real ale

I really wanna throw a lot of hops at this one and make it a bit of a hop bomb without being too bitter that it's not enjoyable.

Can anyone suggest a good recipe? Thanks.

I have done this Real Galaxy Ale , wasn't bad but not to my liking , too Hoppy for me, if I was to brew again id halve the hop amount.

Coopers Real Ale Kit

1 kg DME

100GMS Maltodextrin

100gms Crystal Malt Steeped

50gms Galaxy hop Dry hopped for 5 days

US - 05 Ale Yeast

Cheers

Spud

@karlos_1984
I made this 1 year ago, simple kit and kilo pimped slightly, to get a nice easy drinker for the summer that was filled with hop aroma and flavour.

1 Mex cerveza kit

1kg dry malt extract, notes said it could of handled 1.5kg and still been alright, or 500g of wheat malt.

200g carapils steeped for 30ish minutes.

25g of citra, galaxy and azacca at flameout and steeped for 15 minutes.  You could sub the galaxy for the rest, maybe even drop it back to 50g, but I like this mix.

37g citra and galaxy and 22g of azacca dry hop for 100g total, the notes said great beer 5 out of 5, but you could up it to 150g or so, but a little galaxy goes along way.

21.5 liter ferment with 2 coopers yeasts, ale/lager mix. From memory 1 pack was over a year old so I used that one and the one from the can, but some esters wont hurt this beer, but it came out very clean.

I know it isnt all galaxy but I used the cerveza kit because of the low bitterness, but if you wanted more of an IPA then the real ale or other kit would work.  I like galaxy but prefer it with other hops, but that is purely personal preference.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Yeah sounds good. I've moved to using mex cervesa kits as a base as u have a lower bitterness to play around with your own hop additions. I ended up making this the other day it's still in the fermenter:

Cooper's Mexican cervesa

1.5kg DME

250g medium crystal. (Steeped in 2ltr water @ 68 degrees) sparged up to 5ltrs.

Boiled with 500g of the DME

15g Cascade @ 60 mins

20g cascade @ 30 mins

15 g Galaxy @ 5 mins

30g cascade @ FO

30g Galaxy @ FO

Whirlpool and steep for 15-20 mins with pot in sink of ice to chill.

Topped up to 21 ltrs.

Pitched rehydrated US05 @ 21 degrees.

OG 1055

Expected ABV of 5.4%

IBU just over 50.

Will dry hop with both galaxy and cascade, just not sure how much yet. Maybe 70 to 80g total between the 2.

Dude that recipe looks pretty awesome! I bet the cascade and galaxy will be nice. 

It should have plenty of flavour and aroma with those nice additions, but if it was me I  would go with 80g, 40 of each and then 10g of each in the keg, if you have one. I just hate drinking a batch and thinking I needed more hops, 100g always works pretty good, for me, but will 20g make that much difference? It could at 1g a liter. Go big have no regrets.

Either way, really good looking brew.

Norris

Cheers mate. I've got big expectations. I've not made a bad brew yet but have always thought more hops would have worked. I'm just a tight arse n usually use 100g of a hop over a couple of batches. 

Most recently, made a Cooper's session ale clone based off the recipe on here but with bigger additions n dry hop, subbing Melba for Citra, was my best beer yet so this should be awesome.

I understand, I try to watch my brew costs and the hops are the killer, but I make sacrifices. My kids have never seen shoes. My wife doesnt know what shampoo is, I am almost bald. We use a sponge on a stick for....well you get the idea. Some say I am selfish, but I am sure they said the same thing to Einstein.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 8:47 AM, Spudley said:

I have done this Real Galaxy Ale , wasn't bad but not to my liking , too Hoppy for me, if I was to brew again id halve the hop amount.

Coopers Real Ale Kit

1 kg DME

100GMS Maltodextrin

100gms Crystal Malt Steeped

50gms Galaxy hop Dry hopped for 5 days

US - 05 Ale Yeast

Cheers

Spud

Hi Spud. I think the reason you found it too bitter is because the kit you used as a base is quite bitter. Try the Mexican Cervesa kit as a base and use the same amount of hops. You could also try reducing the length of the dry hop to two or three days. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Archived