Coopers Community

GABS Hottest 100 Aussie / Kiwi Craft Beers

Smash

Yeah mine is just ale, carapils, Caraaroma and black patent. Simple but effective. The flavour to me is more of a caramel/toffee than biscuit and light caramel, obviously from the Caraaroma used, so theirs probably is a bit different. 

I first brewed that beer in 2013. Maybe they were lurking on the forum. Haha. Still the same recipe as the original batch save for the yeast change about 3 years ago. 

I suspect social media and promotion has a lot to do with it too. The breweries aren't allowed to offer incentives for.votes, but they can promote on insta/facebook/at their brewery. This will certainly help the popular players with their numbers. Still, interesting to see PL and 4Pines, etc drop from the moment they sold out to the big fellas. Clearly independence matters to a lot of craft drinkers

I get the whole independent thing, but the poll is about the best beer. It shouldn't matter who brewed it or who owns XYZ brewery. It's certainly not something I consider when buying beer, I just buy beer that tastes good to me. A lot of the time it's probably not independently owned because those ones are often the most expensive. I can understand why they are, but at the same time find it hard to justify paying it when I can brew something equally good or better at home for a fraction of that price. 

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's what the public vote for. 

And the public only vote on what they know & have tried, not what they haven't. I know I haven't tried many of the beers on that list.

A fairer way to assess what is the best beer would be to have a stage two of the polling. Where everyone that voted is sent this list of 100, & is asked to tick which ones they have tried & which ones they have not. The more well rounded a person is with having tried more of those beers on the initial list, the less likely they are to be overly biased. For instance a person that has tried all 100 beers might get 100 voting points, whereas a person who has only tried 3 from the list might only get 3 voting points.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

They need to restrict the voting for this and the hottest 100 to exclude bogans and houso’s. You must be 21 or over and if your  mullet  tickles your arse when you’re smooching your cousin  you’re also out 

Edited by PaddyBrew2
  • Haha 2

Looks like Canberra did well. We sure can brew over here! 😋 

Although, yes Crankshaft is a good beer, but imagine if they made more of the Cluster 8... Just blows it away. Happy to keep it a secret and exclusive to Canberra though 😎

Great to see Coopers back into the mix, although I think Sparkling, BES and ESVA are their best 3 beers. Nothing wrong with Pale or Session though, and probably sell at least an order of magnitude better. 

• 11 months later...

Hmm. I had at least 14 of those beers between November and January. Not including the Coopers, my favourite was the Bentspoke Gose, and least favourite was the 150 Lashes. Weirdest on the list was probably the Pine-Lime Ice Cream IPA, although weirdest over the period was a Bentspoke thing made with insect lava.

20191215_123015.jpg

20191216_174421.jpg

20191230_142506.jpg

20200106_231743.jpg

• Like 1