Coopers Community

GABS Hottest 100 Aussie / Kiwi Craft Beers

Smash

Did anyone else vote in the GABS Hottest 100 Aussie / Kiwi Craft Beers this year? What did you vote for?

My votes were:

1. Balter XPA

2. Balter IIPA

3. Hobart Brewing Co. Extra Pale Ale

4. Little Creatures Dog Days

5. KAIJU KRUSH! Tropical Pale Ale

You can tell I like my pale ales...

Voting closes midnight tonight if you wish to vote! http://www.gabsfestival.com/

• Like 1

La Serene: Urban Pale

Rocky Ridge: Ace pale ale

Rocky Ridge: Stairway to resin

Beerfarm: Pineapple Sour 

Rocky Ridge: Full Mongrel. Barrel aged Russian Imperial stout. 

I forgot to vote but that would have been mine. 

Wow, Rocky Ridge brewing company poled very well this year for me. 

On 1/20/2019 at 7:54 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Deffo a whiff of the south west off your five 🙃

I’m truly not being biased. I drink a lot of different beers from around the place. 

Could be freshness, I don’t know, a lot of the travelled beer is not at its best. 

I would like to see a lot more east coast beers make it over here. 

Definitely agree with #3. Tried it recently in NSW and was blown away by it.

Bought a four pack of #1 today to see what the fuss was about! Not bad at all. 

Coopers make it in 3 times in the top 50. 

Pirate Life IPA is lower than I thought it would be - I'm in love with that beer at the moment.

Had the XPA the other day. I know peoples experience of beers is completely different to others as not one person will taste a beer the same as the next. Having said that, it’s a good beer but I think that population in the area around Balter brewery may have something to do with the overall results. 

Id love to try this beer fresh from the brewery.

Great to see the list is like 88% Independant brewers as well.

Few surprises in the mix, expected to see "mornington brewery" Squid beers rate a bit higher (although they arent my choice of style)

Is the balter stuff that good? Think ive had their IPA once perhaps and it was ok for memory...

1 hour ago, RepSpec said:

Is the balter stuff that good? Think ive had their IPA once perhaps and it was ok for memory...

It’s pretty good. My favourite from theirs is the IPA. Purple can. Great choice of colour from the brewery cause it tastes purple if that makes sense. 

The XPA is good, there strong pale is ok to good. 

But again, like I said, I’d love to try this fresh from the brewery because who knows how long it’s been canned for and how it’s been stored on the long drive to WA as the third time I purchased some IPA it was average.

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Doesn't even say on the website what's in it either. Maybe I should email them 😜😂

I took a look at their website. They were officially established in 2012. Slightly spooky coincidence that!

If you ever ask them, I'll give you question No.1 that I would ask...

"So err... how long have you been making the Red Ale beer?"

It's probably all legit, but it is interesting where some draw inspiration from. Your Red Ale recipe makes a very delish beer having brewed a partial/extract version of it myself. 😎

Their descriptor for the beer tells me (not that anyone cares) that it is a slightly different grist.

Otto's - Red Ale (4.8%) Currently on Tap and in bottles @ OMB HQ

A malt driven beer that is ruby red in colour with biscuit and light caramel flavours. Medium body.

Probably a bit of victory or biscuit malt in the grist that yours doesn't have? (from memory) 🤔

That said, I'd still want to know the origins etc. out of pure curiosity, & to sample it. After all, it wears your name! 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.