Coopers Community

Dark ale

Zelly

Hi there 

I have a can of coppers dark ale and was going to brew it as the can says.

it says to use BE3

has anybody done this and had it been ok

had anyone got any other ways to make a dark ale

what could I add to make it more alcohol 

or do I fill it to make 20 litres 

thenks all 

Zelly! 

Its probly not a bad place to start following those instructions, brew enhancer 3 will complement the style quiet well.

I found that the dark ale kit was a little bitter for my delicate palate,  so a going 20 litres will amplify the ( ibu) bitters, but increase abv (alochol ) & flavour.

What sort of dark ale do you like?

Maybe also check the Coopers recipe section as there are some nice dark ale recipes to follow or fuel inspiration...

Hi Zelly,

I am sure some of the more learned folk will swamp you with recipes & ideas etc, but I have done (2) batches of Coopers Dark Ale, one with the basic kit instruction & it turned out perfect.

The 2nd batch I added Grain/Malt/Hops & it was even better, much more punch & better head retention.

It seems that experimentation is the key. Anyway good luck, I am sure the guys will throw something at you, Cheers.

20180923_132438.thumb.jpg.92bba8be9f6d3e54258fefb501f0348b.jpg

52 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi Zelly,

I am sure some of the more learned folk will swamp you with recipes & ideas etc, but I have done (2) batches of Coopers Dark Ale, one with the basic kit instruction & it turned out perfect.

The 2nd batch I added Grain/Malt/Hops & it was even better, much more punch & better head retention.

It seems that experimentation is the key. Anyway good luck, I am sure the guys will throw something at you, Cheers.

20180923_132438.thumb.jpg.92bba8be9f6d3e54258fefb501f0348b.jpg

Nothing really flash, a fellow brewer whom lives close to me gave me some Joe White Light Crystal Malt, I  crushed, boiled & steeped about 350gms along with Brigalow Australian Galaxy Hops 20gms & Coopers Light Dry Malt x 1kg, probably not totally orthodox, but the end result was awesome, sadly I have about 6 x Long Necks left now about 6 months old. I have to do it again.

I hope you enjoy whatever you create.

Cheers

Phil

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, CLASSIC said:

some Joe White Light Crystal Malt, I  crushed, boiled & steeped about 350gms along with Brigalow Australian Galaxy Hops 20gms & Coopers Light Dry Malt x 1kg, probably not totally orthodox, but the end result was awesome, sadly I have about 6 x Long Necks left now about 6 months old. I have to do it again.

I hope you enjoy whatever you create.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Sounds like a good brew. Have a tin of Dark Ale needing to go into the FV.

I note the recipe is a Nut Brown Ale with a Hop twist.

Did u dry hop or steep the Galaxy Hops?

Did you use the Coopers packet yeast or run with US05/Other?

Cheers

23 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi YeastyBoy,

I chucked in the Galaxy Hops into the Crystal Malt after boiling & steeped them together, then it all went into the FV. I used 2 x Pkts Brigalow Yeast x 5gm each.

I did exactly the same this morning with a Coopers Draught this morning ( first time) started fairly high, so see what happens.

Cheers

Draught.jpg

Thanks Phil,

Partial to the Galaxy which I been using in my Mex brews.

Will give it a go in this Dark Ale recipe however will go with the US05 yeast.

Cheers

16 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi Yeasty Boy,

I have done Mexican Cerveza with that yeast, it's good, In fact I used the Dry Ale pack in my Toucan Stout - awesome !!

Cheers.

US05?I have been using the S23 in the Mex Cerv and keeping temp around Lager Temps (13C). Really sweet sensational beer with a twist of lemon/lime in each glass to give that sweet & sour taste.

Great on a hot day after I have been on the tractor and need to clean the dirt & bugs out of my mouth.

Archived