Coopers Community

hawker831

So I think I may have gotten my first Dud Brew.

I started making the Pavlova Pale Ale  on the 4/1, things seemed to be going well however since the 9th the brew has been stuck on 1.020, (should be 1.008-1.012) and has an unpleasant sour/bitter taste (think the tartness of passionfruit but without the sweetness or flavour).

Temperature has been constant at 20 degrees.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this or is this one for the sink?

Thanks

4 hours ago, hawker831 said:

So I think I may have gotten my first Dud Brew

Maybe, maybe not.

I did a double batch of a variation on the Pavlova Pale Ale using the Bootmaker Pale Ale instead.  My mistake was putting in 1kg of lactose instead of 500g.  The lactose does not ferment so leaves a sweetness in the beer.  Mine was bottled on 26 December.  FG was 1.027.  Your FG sounds about right.  I put my lactose heavy recipe into some brewing software and it predicted FG of exactly 1.027.

I have only tasted one and it was sweet but also had normal beer bitterness to it.  I was expecting a brewed softdrink taste, but it did not go that far.

Your "unpleasant sour" description is worrying.  However, I reckon as your gravity has been stable for a few days, you should bottle it and give it a try in a few weeks.  If still rubbish tip it then.

Cheers Shamus

Hi Hawker. Whenever I click on the link your initial post, Coopers keeps saying "Oops, our bad," and can't find the page. Could you maybe type it in? Is there actual passionfruit in it? If there is no actual fruit in it, then it might be an infection. Have you got fruit flies hanging around your FV?

Cheers,

Christina.

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi Hawker. Whenever I click on the link your initial post, Coopers keeps saying "Oops, our bad," and can't find the page. Could you maybe type it in? Is there actual passionfruit in it? If there is no actual fruit in it, then it might be an infection. Have you got fruit flies hanging around your FV?

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina

If you are outside of Australia you might have some difficulty accessing the recipe pages.  I have no idea why though.  A pdf copy of the Pavlova Pale Ale recipe is attached.  You might be able to use it to give Hawker some advice.  The recipe has canned passionfruit pulp in it.

Cheers Shamus

Pavlova Pale Ale.pdf

Hi Shamus. Thanks for trying to share the recipe, but I still can't view it. A message came up that the person who is trying to share the recipe does not have permission to share it.

The thing with adding fruit to beer is that the sugar ferments away and the acid remains. Unripe fruits can be more acidic than fully ripe ones. Without the sugar to balance it, the acid is far more noticeable.

How can you fix it? Assuming it is not infected, you can fix it by back sweetening to taste with a non-fermentable sweetener like Splenda or Xylitol. While lactose is another non-fermentable sugar, it is not that sweet and adds a lot of body which can make the beer seem filling / heavy.

Cheers,

Christina.

Recipe contains:

• 1 × Mr Beer North West Pale Ale (1.3kg)
  • 1 × Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Pale (250g)
  • 1 × Mr Beer Carbonation Drops (72g)

You supply:

• 1 × 250g Lactose
  • 1 × 170g Passionfruit Pulp
  • 1 × 11.5g Safale US-05 yeast
  • 1 × ½ teaspoon Vanilla Essence (optional, not included in recipe pack)

Or add individually

Mr Beer North West Pale Ale (1.3kg)
1 × Mr Beer North West Pale Ale (1.3kg)
$16.95 $15.26
Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Pale (250g)
1 × Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Pale (250g)
$3.39 $3.05
Mr Beer Carbonation Drops (72g)
1 × Mr Beer Carbonation Drops (72g)
$3.10 $2.79

Ingredients

Archived