Coopers Community

Induction Cooker

csavage87

Hey everyone - do any of you use a single induction cooker for mashing/boiling your brews? For example, this sort of thing...

https://www.catch.com.au/product/philips-hd4992-electric-single-induction-cooker-digital-display-hotplate-cooktop-485279/?offer_id=14398627&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvebhBRD5ARIsAIQUmnmQ3pwOYTBjcCKhumWp3KrfWJrhxmWURYitTLqddSqZepPqlOHDVrwaAvbJEALw_wcB

Let me know if you reckon they're any good for smaller batches. 

Cheers,

Savo. 

15 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I use one.  I'm typically mashing 2 - 2.5kg of grain and after sparge have maybe around 14 litres to boil.  My 2200W induction unit handles that volume no problem at all.  

😎

Awesome! Sounds good - that's about all I'd want to mash as well as I either do partial mash in my big fermenters or AG in my small fermenter (although I imagine I'll have a severe lack of time this year, beginning  a new role at work so might have to smash out a number of extracts to keep the stocks up!). 

How do you find controlling the temp on the 2200W induction cooker? 

Thanks,

Savo. 

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got one for Christmas.  But have not used it in a brew yet.  Got 4 litres of water to a rolling boil in 13 minutes.  I will use it for small batches and hop boils.

Cheers Shamus

Good to know, Shamus - thanks! I am wanting to use it for much the same - especially because my missus finds the smells of malt and hops mashing/boiling indoors affects her migraines! An induction cooker outside would solve my problem of having to kick her out every time I do a brew 😜

The Chinese unit I own has several controls with incremental power adjustment.  I haven't used it for controlling to any specific temperature, just used it for bringing things to a rapid boil.  Doesn't take too long at max power to get my wort, which is already at 60-odd ºC  post mash, up to a boil, then I just step the power down a few steps to maintain the boil for the duration. 

12 hours ago, csavage87 said:

Good to know, Shamus - thanks! I am wanting to use it for much the same - especially because my missus finds the smells of malt and hops mashing/boiling indoors affects her migraines! An induction cooker outside would solve my problem of having to kick her out every time I do a brew 😜

My SWMBO does not mind the malt smell, but is not a fan of boiling hops.  So got the induction cooker for the same reasons.

Mine is a cheapy from K-Mart.  It has the choice of power or temperature control.  I have not tested the temperature control though.

Archived