Coopers Community

Grainfather No Chill

Beer Baron

So I was thinking about getting a cube to no chill or just pumping wort into my fermenter and leaving in my temperature controlled fridge overnight before pitching yeast. 

When I brew in summer using the Grainfather I use the counter flow chiller but to get the temperature of the wort as low as possible it takes about 40ish minutes to transfer and that only gets down to 24-25 degrees. 

I want to save a bit of water and it will also save time on my brew day. 

What does everyone think??

29 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I have a Grainfather and no chill in a cube. I find it easier, faster and saves water.

I was hoping you would respond Hairy. 

Last time I chilled I used a ridiculous amount of water so I wanted to use less water and cut brew day down!! 

It looks like I might transition to no chill!! 

Thanks everyone

When I first started down the AG path we were still in drought and under water restrictions so I decided to no chill to save water and for convenience.

It suits me and I am comfortable with it. I used the chiller once and it took ages to get the temp down. Adding on that time plus additional cleaning time it extended the brew day significantly.

Give it a go and if you like it, keep doing it. If not, go back to chilling. No dramas. You can still do both; chill certain beers and no chill most beers. Just find what works for you and don’t let people tell you that you are a lazy brewer 😉

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd use a cube, less risk of infection.

That should have said less risk of infection compared to putting it in the fermenter to cool down. It works best with minimal to zero headspace in the container. 

Overnight you'd get away with it 99% of the time but if something gets in the way and you can't pitch it when planned then it's not gonna be a problem in a cube. In a fermenter it could well get infected if it's left unpitched too long.

Archived