Coopers Community

Chilli Beer

Smashed Crabs

Ok so I want to do a novelty small batch brew approx 10L will probably utilize a coopers Cerveza can as the base then add the Chilli to it to create a ring burner. Question is when do I add the Chilli? Is it better to use fresh or will this Impart a off taste ? Is it better to dry them and and grind into a powder then add? Either way these won't be brewed for enjoyment .. well except for the people watching people attempt it😁. Oh and what quantities do people suggest ? Iv found some recipes that call for 5 birds eye chillis they are around 50k - 100k Scovilles I've got 4 varities atm that range from 1m - 1.5m +  .... maybe one of each? 

Might need a waiver before people drink this one... 

Had one in Austria last week from a brewery. I find the beer itself is pretty bland but the kick from the chilli is awesome. Would be good if you could add the kick to a beer that’s decent. Will keep an eye on this thread and see how it goes for you. 

Ok so concept so far is I'l boil some chillis say 5 mins then steep for 10-15 .. I'l also soak some in vodka for a week and add that to the FV during primary .. Instead of dry hopping the main batch I'l cut Carolina reapers in half then add half to each bottle. Just got to think of a hop addition to compliment the inferno. 

Thoughts ?

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Smashed Crabs said:

I totally put this on the back burner ... well forgot about it all together to be honest. Starting to get some nice reapers come through so I guess this can be put back on the to do list again. 

IMG20200305172021.jpg

Will definitely be a back passage burner. 🤒

1 hour ago, Smashed Crabs said:

I totally put this on the back burner ... well forgot about it all together to be honest. Starting to get some nice reapers come through so I guess this can be put back on the to do list again. 

IMG20200305172021.jpg

Hmmm, I am not sure a Reaper is the most suitable chilli to use in a beer. 

I've eaten one of those bastard once and holy crap are they hot. I used to grow them until I realised there isn't much point as I won't eat them or even use them dried and ground. It was mainly for bragging rights.

• Haha 2

Yeah i grow these, scorpions, brain killers and 3 types of ghost Peppers. This beer is purely as a dare beer between mates pretty much lol. I'm also doing reaper jerky and making hot sauces with it.

Edited by Smashed Crabs