Coopers Community

Plaato v Tilt

Titan

Hey guys, lucky enough to have both of these gizmos running in a batch. Will let you know how the both progress. Initially the plaato was not seeing any activity where the tilt was recording well. Initially i thought it was because this plaato is half dead (temp measure is kaput). Tightend the fv lid and put it into learning mode and adjusted to match the tilt reading now going great guns. Will see how it pans out over the next few days.

Nah, Temperature died when i had my overflow, not good anyway as it just measures the temperature of the liquid in the airlock not the actual beer. Plaato are sending me a replacement but this one will do for now.

Ok end of day update and my opinion of both so far.

Plaato: Being first generation i reckon they need to iron out a few fundamental design issues like liquid ingress and temperature reading. Though i didn't really have a functioning temperature measurement to really make an educated assessment. Interface is spot on and the fact i monitor this in an app wherever im am is great.

Tilt: 3rd generation, many of the issues this unit had in its first 2 iterations have been resolved. Unit looks the part and is well constructed. Interface? You only have if your in blutooth range or you buy a seperate raspberry pi, even then if your outside your own wifi network you have to revert to data transmitted to google sheets.

Im still on the fence and it will take a few more brews to really judge these units side by side. I will be talking a sample tomorrow night so it will be interesting to see which one is closer to the truth.

Screenshot_20190113-230710_PLAATO.jpg

Screenshot_20190113-230533_Chrome.jpg

Yes I was surprised when I first used it. This particular batch has been really steady with a maximum of around 165 BPM.  Batch I had the blow off hit well over 400 BPM.

Interesting is the total count, so far this is sitting at 479772 BPM with a total co2 count at 319 litres.

24 minutes ago, Titan said:

Yes I was surprised when I first used it. This particular batch has been really steady with a maximum of around 165 BPM.  Batch I had the blow off hit well over 400 BPM.

Interesting is the total count, so far this is sitting at 479772 BPM with a total co2 count at 319 litres.

That's a lot of bubbles, and a lot of litres! It is very impressive actually, how hard the yeast work. Who knew? I have tried counting bubbles in the airlock a couple of times but never counted more than 60 (or so I thought). 

The total count appeals to the geek in me....Do both devices give you the totals?

Cheers,

Christina.

The Tilt measures the SG of the wort based on its floating angle in the wort. It loads this data to google sheets and it makes interesting reading. This is an example of what you see. Note this sheet is before I figured out how to display deg c. It also has a chart view of the data. 

tilt.PNG

Ok another update with a sample. Plaato said 1.024, tilt said 1.021, actual reading with refracto 1.022. So these 2 units are neck and neck with this brew. Put the plaato into learning mode and adjusted to 1.022. Now we get to the pointy end will see what happens as i am going to toss some dry hops. 

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm assuming that refractometer reading was corrected for the presence of alcohol 😎

Yes mate i did it using beersmith couple months back and every brew since has been spot on. Old habits never die though and i will eventually take a hydro reading. 

Small update, dont expect things to move swiftly form here on in. Brew is almost done but i will wait a few more days. Plaato at 1015, Tilt bobbing 1013 - 1014. Only 34bpm from plaato now. Didnt help when adding dry hops as co2 blanket lost when open the lid. Plaato as i speak has gone offline.

Crazy overload for home brewing IMHO, but if you like this level of observation while you're fermenting then go for it I say.

PB2's BEER TRIANGLE: Thorough Sanitation + Fresh Ingredients + Appropriate Ferment Temp = QUALITY BEER

While I can control & track those 3 elements, I don't have much else to worry about from brew to brew (IMHO).

In the last couple of days I've commented on posts revolved around commercial practices for brewing beer & the safety mechanisms followed to reproduce these beers over & over. Understand that many of these procedures & practices adopted by commercial breweries are built upon minimizing failure to the enth degree, to the point of completely eliminating the chance of it with their processes of making beer. Large scale commercial breweries ferment giga-litres of beer per batch so can't take the chance of it failing in any way so overcompensate in many areas to eliminate that chance of failure.

Over the years I've listened to many home brewers at the higher levels that align themselves with this commercial philosophy, then preach it to those of all levels within the home brew ranks as some sort of "Must do".

On a home-brew scale, much of it is unnecessary & a waste of your time.

At the end of the day it is your choice about who & what you wish to believe. My position & view is simply one of many available for you to read.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Lusty,  totally agree. This is over the top brewing for a home brewer and also for most, out of their price range. Dont get me wrong this is not about what you can afford but a genuine comparison of 2 mass market products and a review of how they compare. The outlay i have on these is huge, money could have been better spent.  This topic is to help peeps who are concidering buying one of these. Hopefully at the end when i give my verdict on both. I will have saved that brewer $200 on buying the wrong product. I personally find the science fascinating.

I find myself in the position where it isn't entirely insane to spend $200 on a hydrometer that reports to my phone. I say this because of the frustration and wastage I experience taking a reading with the manual hydrometer that came with my Coopers kit. 

I appreciate @Titan trying out both, and giving us real feedback. I know already from @Titan's posts that the Plaato isn't for me. I currently manage to squeeze two FVs into one brew fridge, just, which wouldn't work with anything sticking out the top.

My current practice is to give my 2 FV brews 14 days in the brew fridge. I don't know how much I could shorten this process, but 2x Tilts would let me know. On the other hand, there's something to be said for letting the yeast clean up at the end of fermentation. 

That said, brewing and bottling on weekends fits with my work schedule so it might become the case that Tilt says I can bottle, but I end up not doing so until the weekend anyway... 

*That f*ing hydrometer spinning and spinning and always facing away from me though... I am tempted to spend $$$!

You can get better quality hydrometers and testing jars/tubes that don't cost $200. I've been using one for years without issue. It always seems to face away from me when I spin it too, so I just spin the testing jar itself around until the hydrometer faces me. I suppose I'm at a point where fermentation is very predictable so I don't feel the need to be tracking it on a phone everywhere I am. 

I can see where Lusty is coming from but I don't entirely agree. If I'm spending 6 hours making wort then waiting another month for it to be ready on tap, I'm damn sure I'll be doing everything I can, in the scope of what is possible in a home setting, to minimise the risk of failure. It's a lot of time and effort wasted if things turn out badly from getting lazy somewhere along the line. 

Yeah they take all the fun out of the NBA too. 😋

Or make it even more interesting, depends on what you like I guess! 

These gadgets would be great if there's something you need to do at a particular SG though, eg follow the Fuller's fermentation schedule. Still have to be around to do it unless you can write a bit of code to read from that and adjust the temp controller remotely to a SG-driven schedule. When everything's got network connectivity and a public API these days it makes stuff like that possible. 

Cheers, 

John 

Archived