Coopers Community

Heat pad vs belt

AlanT58

Hi Al

I went for a heat belt.  I read on the Forum that having a heat pad under the yeast cake and heating up through the yeast cake is not such great practice.  Made sense to me.

When I need it I just circle the heat belt around the bottom of my fermenter.  This is within my temperature controlled freezer.

Cheers Shamus

If you are using a fridge or freezer for temp control in Brisbane you won't need a heat source. I'm here too, only needed heat like one or two batches a year and that was only to raise the temperature a bit nearing the end of fermentation. A hot water bottle sitting in the freezer would be enough.

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2019 at 9:30 AM, Popo said:

I use a belt and just dangle/hang it in the fridge. Seems to keep the temperature pretty stable and is not in contact with anything.

also went with the belt haning in the freezer, plugged in to the inkbird. so problem solved. Thanks to all for the advice.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 2:48 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Where are you? At this time of year you wouldn't need heating unless you're in the northern hemisphere, or maybe Tasmania 😜

😜 .....or even in northern Mexico (Victoria)

Cheers

I use a belt around the FV in my fermentiing fridge set at 19.5c on the Inkbird (just started doing that again since summer passed - otherwise my fridge is dropping too low o/night.

Only ever use heat pads as an adjunct in the depths of winter when my shed gets down to -5c o/night. (Usually for bottle conditioning)

Cherrs

Edited by Worthog

Cranked out the Heat Pad over the last couple of days in Melb, just to bring temp up a little.

Same as Baron, I lean it against the side of the fridge.

Tried the hot water bottle last winter in Melbourne, couldn't keep temp constant enough with things like work getting in the way. Bit the bullet and Santa brought me a heat pad. 

On 1/12/2019 at 2:27 AM, AlanT58 said:

Ovb I'm in brisbane

I was just thinking ahead for winter

And shamus I had a similar thought on cooking the sediment

Thanks guys

I'm in Brissy too and so far never had the need to use either. I actually recently found my old heat pad from 20 years ago in the shed and thought about using it but haven't had the need. My fridges are in the house though.

I've been using an aquarium heater in a jar of water in the fridge, but today I put a 40W bulb inside a small can and hung that low in the fridge. The can stops the light shining on my beer and also heats up from the bulb and distributes the warm.

Canned Heat.jpg

Edited by Journeyman

On 4/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, Journeyman said:

I've been using an aquarium heater in a jar of water in the fridge, but today I put a 40W bulb inside a small can and hung that low in the fridge. The can stops the light shining on my beer and also heats up from the bulb and distributes the warm.

Canned Heat.jpg

clever

• Haha 1

A heat belt connected to your inkbird would provide better and consistent temperatures. With my heatbelt and frigde connected to inkbird my temperature variation is 0.6c for the full fermentation cycle.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worthog said:

A heat belt connected to your inkbird would provide better and consistent temperatures. With my heatbelt and frigde connected to inkbird my temperature variation is 0.6c for the full fermentation cycle.

That's just the Inkbird. Any heat and cooling sources would do the same. 😄

36 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

That's just the Inkbird. Any heat and cooling sources would do the same. 😄

This can be dangerous. Moisture is very prevalent when heating and cooling. This moisture can get into any free space in the electical appliance used. Appliance should be IP rated when in an environment that produces moisture. This hack can kill you, get rid of it.

14 hours ago, Titan said:

This can be dangerous. Moisture is very prevalent when heating and cooling. This moisture can get into any free space in the electical appliance used. Appliance should be IP rated when in an environment that produces moisture. This hack can kill you, get rid of it.

Are you talking about the light in a can?