Coopers Community

Dry Hopping with Kits

talltwits

Hey everybody!!!

Hope you are all well and thanks for reading my post. I’ve been away from brewing for over a year and getting back into it. 

I have a coopers blonde blonde kit that I plan on doing at the weekend. Nothing fancy purely the kit plus 1kg brewing sugar. But I have hops left over from last time when I done a BIAB. To be precise 30g Simcoe pellets. 

Would these be be suitable to throw in the FV? If so what’s the best way to do this? Do I need to boil them prior to putting in? Can I throw them in loose of get them in a bag?

look forward to your brewing expertise! 

Cheers, fae Scotland!

You can dry hop with Simcoe so no need to boil (unless you want to increase the bitterness a little). You can either toss them in loose or use a bag. I find it best to add it when fermentation is close to, or actually, finished.

I’ve tried lots of different amounts.

Dry hopping I use around 75 grams, and even up to 150 sometimes.

Its gives me what I’m after, but I’m a hop head.

Try different amounts till you find what you’re looking for.

Get a hop bag from the brew shop.

Boil the bag only  to sanitize it. 

Drop your hops in, after fermentation has finished or at day five.

I just leave em in till I bottle.

But that’s just what I do.

It becomes easier the more you experiment.

Good luck 

cheers 

Ek 

17 minutes ago, talltwits said:

Just throwing in a side question. I’m sure I used 1tsp of brewing sugar per 500ml bottle in the past. That be right enough yeah?? 

I use a teaspoon of sugar in 450ml Grolsch fliptops and 500ml amber bottles.  Works out fine for me.  You might want to go for half a teaspoon for stouts and the like though.

Cheers Shamus

Archived