Coopers Community

Grain Values Changing

Beer Baron

Here is the response I got back after emailing them. 

Previously the OG calculation wasn’t taking into account post-boil losses so it was essentially being calculated on batch size which is the amount that gets into the fermenter (e.g. 23L). This calculation should include the losses because it’s ‘locked in’ at the end of the boil (post-boil volume). Once we updated the calculation to include the losses (e.g. 23L + 2L = 25L) it results in a drop in the OG because it’s now getting calculated from a larger volume (25L rather than 23L).

To account for this do one of the following…
1- If you were previously hitting your target OG it means that you are getting a higher efficiency than previously assumed so just up your efficiency value to get the OG (or ABV) back to what it was.
2- If you tended to undershoot your target OG this would explain it and the recipe should now be closer to your actual session values.
3- Although not accurate, removing the losses value (set to 0) will return the recipe to it’s previous values.

Yeah, just add a bit more base malt until it gets to the desired figure. 

Or, a better way might be to simply brew it as is and see what you get then adjust the efficiency number if required.

In beersmith there are two listed volumes, the predicted post boil volume which is based on the pre boil volume minus boil off, and the fermenter volume obviously based on the post boil volume minus trub and other losses. The recipes overall are based on the fermenter volume, but it takes into account all losses through the process. 

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I might have to change to Beersmith. The Grainfather app always has issues and people are constantly complaining about it. 

Thanks Kelsey

Beersmith has its own issues. I uninstalled it a while ago and use my own spreadsheet now,which is working much better. 

Cheers, 

John 

On 1/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, Beer Baron said:

I might have to change to Beersmith. The Grainfather app always has issues and people are constantly complaining about it. 

Thanks Kelsey

Check out Brewfather. I really like it.

Archived