Coopers Community

Bottles

BS.VB

Further to my last post on PETs, it appears they're holding the cider carbonation ok whilst being stored, but when chilling them for a day to drink, they're somehow getting flat and letting carb out. The bottles are tight AF when put in the fridge, then before taking them out they've softened and u can press the side in. The lids are tight as a nuns u know what as well, so it's got me buggered.

I love flip tops, because you don't need a capper, don't need new caps every time, and don't need a bottle opener; there is also something very satisfying about that "pop" when you open them. It can scare the bejeezus out of friends and family if they are not expecting it, and that is kind of fun. 😆

My ideal bottle would be a 350mL, brown glass flip top, but I have never seen one. In my area I have to choose between 450ml green Grolsch bottles and 500mL brown bottles. I have had both. I like the green ones for their smaller size and the brown ones for UV protection. I ended up getting rid of the brown ones as I found the serving size too big. 

Cheers,

Christina.

7 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

I love flip tops, because you don't need a capper, don't need new caps every time, and don't need a bottle opener; there is also something very satisfying about that "pop" when you open them. It can scare the bejeezus out of friends and family if they are not expecting it, and that is kind of fun. 😆

My ideal bottle would be a 350mL, brown glass flip top, but I have never seen one. In my area I have to choose between 450ml green Grolsch bottles and 500mL brown bottles. I have had both. I like the green ones for their smaller size and the brown ones for UV protection. I ended up getting rid of the brown ones as I found the serving size too big. 

Cheers,

Christina.

I have a few smaller brown flip tops. 330ml I think.
They were given to me by various people. I think they from an Aldi German range of beers.

I've got loads of different bottles. Mainly I use 330ml brown ones, but I also have some clear & green that I use for lager.
Some old brown long necks too.
I have grolsch flip tops that I use for cider. Also 2 x 1.5 litre Grolsch bottles. I've never used those.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:08 AM, jackgym said:

Holy crap! It seems I've been panicking too early with the PET's. 😮

I toss them after 15 brews or so. Looks like they're good for a few more than that.

There is a limit to how long they can hold pressure. If expecting to keep the beer longer than 6 months or so I'd suggest glass. Coopers 750ml are the best.

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Mustn't have been carbonated properly to begin with. Chilling them would only increase it as more gas would absorb into the liquid as the temperature drops, also why they feel softer than at room temperature.

Dunno what else I could have done different besides bulk priming. I used 2 X carb drops in each PET bottle and this has never failed me before. 

25 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Dunno what else I could have done different besides bulk priming. I used 2 X carb drops in each PET bottle and this has never failed me before. 

How long were they left for? I may be mistaken but I seem to remember reading somewhere that cider takes longer to carbonate fully than beer does.

Ben sent me a couple of bottles of his brews in PET late last year, I think they arrived a couple of days after he sent them. They were already hard, but I gave them a couple more days at room temp before chilling them down. The carbonation wasn't highly fizzy but it was at a good level. I suspect if I'd put them in the fridge straight away that they wouldn't have been as fizzy, even though the bottles were quite firm.

Were left for just over 2 weeks. Which is my minimum for any brew I make. I chilled a couple on Xmas day and they were good as gold. Fizzy and tasted fine. Since after Nye I've had the dramas with them going flat, as I said it's got me buggered because the first few were all good.

All of the above.  

I mean I use PET, Coopers 750's, Grolsch flip tops and a bunch of 500ml beer and cider bottles .. oh, and a Darwin stubbie.

I tend to put my stouts and bigger beers into the Coopers bottles, anything that comes out of the 'craft' fermenter goes in the Grolsch and the quick turn around beers in the PET.

I always pour into a glass.  I don't like stubbies. 500ml is as small as I go and they pour straight into a pint glass.  I don't like twist tops either.  The only breakages I have ever had capping have been twist tops.

The Darwin stubbie is a bit of fun, reserved for when I have help to drink it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use 1250ml soft drink bottles, been doing it since '95 when I moved to Darwin and couldn't get 750ml glass longnecks. Beers just as good, not as much bottling as the 1250's hold more, and for me on a personal level, 1250ml is a good amount in a sitting.

Wow I have so many types of bottle .... my Stubbies: I use green European Bottles for Lager have about 120 odd, I use Matilada bay brown for Ales and ginger beers and others have 150 odd of those  use Corona bottle for ciders and Mexican style beers have nearly 100  of those ... Tallies: 200 PET that used for most stuff and 100 coopers with the odd old XXXX bottle ...  I do have a few odds and sods and over time I have collected from my son in law  the 60 Guinness stubbies are my favorite ... love them for some reason ...  shorter than other stubbs neck not so long and very solid glass .... put my chilli ginger beer in them ... wish i had 1000's of them ... 

guinness-original-irish-draught-stout-12x-500ml-nrb-case_temp_1.jpg

On 1/14/2019 at 7:59 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

I ended up getting rid of the brown ones as I found the serving size too big. 

500ml too big?  😧   

Well, much of my glassware is around 400-ish ml so in that sense I guess 500ml is a little too much, but in my case I'm not usually stopping at just one glass so a 500ml serving size is generally way too small for me!  😄    I have about 20 of the 500ml flip-tops.  The 750ml version I find big, heavy and cumbersome - especially when compared to the equivalent volume PET which I mostly use.  

My ideal bottle though is called the "Boston Round" with screw cap - up to  960ml capacity.   That'll fill two of most of my craft beer glasses.   Haven't found a local supplier for them yet though.   

Archived