Coopers Community

Bottles

BS.VB

Coopers long necks and Cascade stubbies. Great for storing beer in them and can reuse over & over.

Holds temp a little longer and love pouring from glass bottle to glassware. Gotta love that chink sound when they kiss lightly.

Cheers

I,too,like the PET bottles- that reassuring firmness as they carbonate,and the way the sediment lodges and stays in the little foot indentations. And,yes,there is something about glass. I have quite a collection of 750 ml Bundaberg ginger beer bottles. They are robust brown bottles with an aluminium screw top which can be reused countless times. Replacement lids are available for a few cents. I find them ideal beer bottles. If you are not a fan of ginger beer,try diluting it with rum. Improves it no end. You see it occasionally on special for $2. The bottle has to be worth $1, so it becomes almost as cheap as home brew!  Cheers.

13 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I purchased 100 used 750ml PET's 4 years ago for $1.  Stilling using them...   🙂  

Holy crap! It seems I've been panicking too early with the PET's. 😮

I toss them after 15 brews or so. Looks like they're good for a few more than that.

Asahi's are my faves only issue is I have to drink what's in them before I can use them for my brews 😭 Squires work good, stone and wood, anything with a pop top.  I'm not brewing highly carbed beers though.  Tried that a couple times with the PET's and although it worked, they were way overcarbed and ruined the flavour.

PET's are fine but from much experimentation, 3/4's of the beers were no good after about 6-8 months.  Flat, DOA, some of them were overcarbed.  I would only recommend using PET's for simple beers you are gonna swill as soon as they hit 4 weeks in the bottle.  

One thing I'm finding with stubbies is they tend to distort the flavour if you drink them out of the glass?  Some brews I've done have been hard work, until I poured them and then bang, great.  I wonder if they need to 'air' like red wine.

1 hour ago, Beervis said:

Asahi's are my faves only issue is I have to drink what's in them before I can use them for my brews 😭 Squires work good, stone and wood, anything with a pop top.  I'm not brewing highly carbed beers though.  Tried that a couple times with the PET's and although it worked, they were way overcarbed and ruined the flavour.

PET's are fine but from much experimentation, 3/4's of the beers were no good after about 6-8 months.  Flat, DOA, some of them were overcarbed.  I would only recommend using PET's for simple beers you are gonna swill as soon as they hit 4 weeks in the bottle.  

One thing I'm finding with stubbies is they tend to distort the flavour if you drink them out of the glass?  Some brews I've done have been hard work, until I poured them and then bang, great.  I wonder if they need to 'air' like red wine.

By the time I drink my last PET of a 30 bottle batch it's 2 months old, so no chance of going flat.

The only thing I've found is they tend to overcarb if I use an extra half kg of LDM in a recipe (1.5 kg as against the usual 1 kg).

@Beervis they taste different (usually worse) drinking straight from the bottle because you can't smell the aroma. That's pretty much the only reason, not because they're stubbies. I noticed the same when I took a few to a party one night, drank the first couple straight from the stubbies then found a glass and suddenly the beer tasted way better.

That must be it.  I experimented with the same thing with a six pack of Cooper's Blue last night, noticed an improvement with it as well.  It's annoying because stubbies are so convenient and easy to keep cold.  Depends how much you value the contents I guess.  I've been making a lot of light, cheap, pissy beers lately and those go well drinking out of the bottle.

38 minutes ago, jackgym said:

By the time I drink my last PET of a 30 bottle batch it's 2 months old, so no chance of going flat.

The only thing I've found is they tend to overcarb if I use an extra half kg of LDM in a recipe (1.5 kg as against the usual 1 kg).

This might explain some of the issues I've been having... brews that were fine at 4 weeks but start to overcarb after a few months.  I've been told it's the yeast breaking down residual and harder to ferment sugars, but it has only happened with brews that have more ingredients - like you say, an extra .5 of LDM or LDM plus a can of LME + spec grains, etc

Archived