Coopers Community

Why do the recipes avoid the kit yeast?

PeterC1525230181

I have the Coopers craft kit and have tried various of the recipes in the Coopers database. I have noticed that they mostly don't use the kit yeast. I assume that the kit yeast is not bad yeast. Why would Coopers put in a poor ingredient when they could include a good yeast at no more expense? I understand that it might be a wisely chosen robust strain, or maybe a blend of strains, so that it can cope with a wide temperature range and not perform too badly. Is it just that the recipe authors are aiming for particular style and so choose something specific and different? How much difference do different yeasts really make or is it enough to just understand that lager yeast likes cool (8-12) and ale yeast can cope with warmer (18-20 or more)? Even in hot weather and without any active temperature control I can keep things to around 22 degrees - our bathroom stays quite cool. I am happy to just make a enjoyable drink without getting pedantic about whether it matches any particular style. 

yeasts make a lot of difference. as do the hops and the malt. 

9 minutes ago, PeterC1525230181 said:

Is it just that the recipe authors are aiming for particular style and so choose something specific and different?

yes.

Iv found the kit yeast pretty good especially as a beginner. The yeast supplied allows you to make a kit and a kilo beer that anyone can do. The recipes on the sites get you to try new methods and products expanding your skill set and finding the yeast that works and taste the  best for you. And like you mentioned about temperature control .. some yeast have much higher tolerances without producing off flavors. 

Although Cooper's yeast is a good product, it only comes in 7g satchets.  

If you just sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort and don't rehydrate you'll probably have the minimum amount of cells to kick over 23 litres.

I prefer US-05 @ 11g (for ales) which I think produces a crisper tasting beer anyway. 

Alternatively, you can use 2x7g satchets.

Archived