Coopers Community

Pineapple Pale Ale

Hell Man Hixy

Hey legends how ya going!??

Wanna do a pineapple pale ale, using extract base only! But want to use fresh pineapple, gonna juice it first, so question I have is do I need to heat it up to kill the nasties or can I bang it straight in!!?
Was planning to put it in with some extra hops on day 3 or 4 as a kinda secondary fermentation!!??
Legends!! Thanks!

I wanted to do a pineapple beer since pineapples are associated with the work I do! Hell I even have a pineapple tattoo 😂🤣 but after reading up on it back sweating or some alcohol free syrup type additive is the only option iv found. Interesting to see if your method works,will definitely give it a try.

4 hours ago, Graculus said:

I just put some grapefruit in a brew. I just chucked it in.

I'd be interested to know how you go with this. My grapefruit brew was bottled well over a month ago and it's still not clear.
I don't think it ever will.

Have ya cracked a bottle yet mate?! How is it?!

6 hours ago, Hell Man Hixy said:

Have ya cracked a bottle yet mate?! How is it?!

Oh yes, I'm drinking it. It's very nice, despite the fact it didn't come out as I intended.
I put way too much grapefruit in. My intention was a light coloured beer with a hint of grapefruit.
Take a look at the link below. The recipe is near the top of the page and scroll down for a pic of a bottle.
Next time I'm going use either the grapefruit juice or fresh grapefruit.
I've got a couple of ideas about getting it clear. At the moment I'm tossing up between gelatine & pectolase.
I've never used pectolase in beer though, only wine or cider.

Pectolase/Pectinase breaks down the pectins found naturally occuring in fruit, releasing juice, colour and flavour and enhancing yield. If pectins are not destroyed then there is a good chance your finished wine will remain "hazy" and never clear, even with the use of finings later on.

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/12572-coopers-mexican-cerveza/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-167094

• 2 weeks later...

So the recipe goes like this:

10g Topaz hops & 12g First gold Hops, into 2L boiled water, steep for 20 minutes, cold crash for 10

1 tin coopers Pale and 500g Coopers LDM topped up to 23L

OG 1036

Day 3- added juice of 2 fresh pineapples, heated up to help activate sugars, approx volume 1.5L...pineapple could have been added fresh/cold no probs at all since CO2 and alcohol would have killed any nasties, so the legend brewer at my local told me!

Day 4 secondary fermentation kicked off, airlock blup blup blupping

Today Day 8.  gravity stable for 2 days at 1005

Tastes and smells freaking awesome, ..tying to be patient and will wait at least til the weekend to bottle! i'm so amped right now, first fruit beer locked in!!

Oppps forgot added 10g Topaz & 13g First Gold In a hop bag with the pineapple!

Bottled on Day 12, gravity steady for 4 days at 1005.

Brilliant gold in colour, crisp, sweet & just bitter enough!

31 bottles, gonna be a long fortnight!!!

I’ll post pics when it’s done 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Well legends, Day 14 is finally upon us! So stoked to finally taste this bad girl!

As soon as I’ve cracked it the smell of sweet tartness from the pineapple was upon us, super fragrant and super hoppy.

Its cleared up almost perfectly and I’d say after another week or two she’ll be clear as day!

Flavour is really nice, way better than I expected...I haven’t been brewing long enough to know exactly but the combo of Topaz & 1st Gold seems to marry nicely with the pineapple... malty, hoppy with a soft tropical pineapple flavour, it’s bloody delicious and I’m super stoked!!

Took a couple of pics, not sure if they do it justice but hey!

Cheers & Beers

B216E472-9929-4106-B62D-1794BDD05704.jpeg

F31423C4-E851-4496-A4A5-16421BE33222.jpeg

Archived