Coopers Community

ESVA ROTM

On 1/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, Beervis said:

I tried the commercial version of the 18 ESVA after I'd already bought the ROTM (haven't brewed it yet) and I'd have to say... I intensely disliked it! I don't know why, I'm normally open minded about beer.  I just found it so heavy and rich and in all the wrong ways.  The previous year's ROTM was excellent though.  Even in PET's after 8 months of aging it kept getting better and better.

Bugger. The I didn't mind the 2018 one but I didn't think it was anything g overly special. The 2017 and 2016 brews were far superior IMO

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, Beervis said:

I tried the commercial version of the 18 ESVA after I'd already bought the ROTM (haven't brewed it yet) and I'd have to say... I intensely disliked it! I don't know why, I'm normally open minded about beer.  I just found it so heavy and rich and in all the wrong ways.

I agree with those sentiments exactly. The malt grist was obviously altered for the 2018 brew, not only the regular hop change.  For early drinking after release, the Aramis hop with this malt profile was not enjoyable at all. The 2018 profile definitely seems to be more set for drinking once aged for a decent period of time as being the only point where it could be enjoyed. That's a very different approach for Coopers with the beer as it has always had very welcoming & enjoyable 'chameleon-like' traits to it that allow the drinker to enjoy the beer on a number of levels through it's ageing process.

4 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

It’s different for sure as it’s more of an amber ale compared to their IPA styles from previous years as per their recipe section. But still very drinkable.  Although would be nice if they reverted to norm for 2019 @PB2 🤗

Again I agree. The 2018 DIY ESVA recipe very closely models the DIY Coopers Celebration Ale recipe that is in fact an amber ale. The Real Ale/Pale Ale can mix definitely provides a fuller flavoured & better ageing malt mix that suits this beer perfectly through the ageing process as the drinker wishes to enjoy the various aspects the beer presents more prominently at various stages of ageing.

I'm pretty sure most of the early offensive Aramis hopping notes on the 2018 version will subside & compliment the malt bill much better after some decent ageing. From what I tasted of the commercial version, a minimum of 7-8 months.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, karlos_1984 said:

I rkn I'll brew the 2013 one next. It uses more common hops that I'd also make use of with other brews and I've already got cans of real ale and APA on hand. 

KR have u done a side by side comparison with yours and the 2018 release?

I did a side by side when I brewed the 2018 ROTM, both very nice beers, although I couldn't help but notice that even after significant ageing, I felt like the real ale/apa combo was a fraction too bitter compared with the original.  Maybe it would benefit from extra steeping grains, although from memory it did have a few hundred grams.

13 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

It’s different for sure as it’s more of an amber ale compared to their IPA styles from previous years as per their recipe section. But still very drinkable.  Although would be nice if they reverted to norm for 2019 @PB2 🤗

This might explain it, I've never had an amber ale I liked... apart from I think it was a Sierra Nevada that was so full of hops it may as well have been an IPA.

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I'm pretty sure most of the early offensive Aramis hopping notes on the 2018 version will subside & compliment the malt bill much better after some decent ageing. From what I tasted of the commercial version, a minimum of 7-8 months.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've got a few months left to go then - popped the rest of the 6 pack in the cupboard after that aborted attempt at drinking them.  We'll see what it's like over winter.  I'll probably love it and then kick myself for not buying more!

The ESVA's are an interesting beast.  I try and get my hands on them every year, but there aren't many I've enjoyed as much as the Celebration Ale.  Personal taste I guess.  As far as kit recipes go, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better at this effort level though.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:36 AM, Beerlust said:

For early drinking after release, the Aramis hop with this malt profile was not enjoyable at all.

Well each to their own I guess, I finished off my case pretty quickly! Just needed a bigger dose of Aramis and it would have been even better.

Cheers,

John

On 1/14/2019 at 8:43 PM, porschemad911 said:

Well each to their own I guess, I finished off my case pretty quickly! Just needed a bigger dose of Aramis and it would have been even better.

Cheers,

John

You must like very spicy food then John? 🤔

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I love spicy food but it turns my body into a fire extinguisher😂

Haha! First time I ate spicy food was about 13 years ago. I made pizza for dinner and decided to slice up a few little birdseye chillis and put them on. Don't know why, sudden stroke of genius? Tasted like fire and I loved it.

Best part was marrying a Singaporean. Lots of delicious spicy food over there!

Although she did overestimate herself once. I has some of this in the fridge and she wanted to put it on her noodle box. I warned her to start with a few drops. Thinking 'she was Singaporean, ate chili all the time and how hot could it be?', she stirred in a heaped teaspoon.

She was rolling on the floor in pain, alternating mouthfuls of noodles with spoonfuls of ice cream to cool her mouth down haha! 

I'm the opposite, don't like spicy food at all. I don't mind mildly spicy but when it gets to the point of being able to taste nothing else, it's just unpleasant to me. That chilli beer from the WA brewery was such an example, bloody disgusting crap. They may as well have mixed chilli powder in water and carbonated it.

I used to be a total spice wuss until I lived with a couple of house who'd try and out-do each other a little. In the end I got used to it and now I'm not afraid to order anything "hot" from any menu, which is nice. It is just something you need to get used to by going though it all though.

20 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Oh, tips on what hops to use?

Something classed as "Earthy", slightly "Herbal" or "Woody" would be my choice.

BTW, everything I advise hop-wise is "other than magnum" & for good reason.

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Archived