Coopers Community

ESVA ROTM

Dear lord this is a great brew 👍 Just enjoying another and I love the whole process, from trying the new vintage, to buying the ROTM pack, to harvesting the yeast, to enjoying the results for months to come. It’s not an AG brew, but damned if I could do half as good myself anyway. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a cracker alright. I got two of the rotm packs. However I used us05 in both and even though she’s a great beer she is just missing that little bit of coopers magic that the harvested yeast provides 

I’ll know in future not to take shortcuts 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:43 PM, King Ruddager said:

Dear lord this is a great brew 👍 Just enjoying another and I love the whole process, from trying the new vintage, to buying the ROTM pack, to harvesting the yeast, to enjoying the results for months to come. It’s not an AG brew, but damned if I could do half as good myself anyway. 

Totally agree Ruddy.

I've mentioned this a couple of times over the last few years & challenged the AG'ers to make a better beer around this type of recipe. I've yet to have any takers. 😉

From any home brew base standpoint, the beer this particular recipe ends up producing is outstanding (IMHO).

Cheers,

Lusty.

50 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Totally agree Ruddy.

I've mentioned this a couple of times over the last few years & challenged the AG'ers to make a better beer around this type of recipe. I've yet to have any takers. 😉

From any home brew base standpoint, the beer this particular recipe ends up producing is outstanding (IMHO).

Cheers,

Lusty.

Become an AGer and do it yourself.

23 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Become an AGer and do it yourself.

Why would I when the kit based recipe licks anything you AG'ers could potentially come up with anyway?

I'm happy in my current space Hairy. Nice try again though. 😉

P.S. Got much of that Magnum IPA left?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just now, The Captain1525230099 said:

If I liked the recipe I’d try make something similar but it ain’t my bag baby. 

Ill leave that to the people that actually like that style of beer.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could dislike this beer particularly in the colder months of the year. 😖

Cheers,

Lusty.

Recipe: esva
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 26.69 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 45.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 61.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                 Grain         1          69.9 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)                           Grain         2          14.0 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Aromatic (51.0 EBC)                              Grain         3          7.0 %         0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          3.5 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Light Crystal (45.0 EBC)                         Grain         5          3.5 %         0.16 L        
0.10 kg          Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC)     Grain         6          1.4 %         0.07 L        
0.05 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         7          0.7 %         0.03 L        
30.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           8          35.7 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Victoria Secret [19.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20. Hop           9          25.4 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i may just have to brew that next brew day, have evreything on hand,,,,, might go wyeast irish ale that i have too.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:43 PM, King Ruddager said:

Which ESVA recipe did u make? From memory of drinking the originals I think the 2016 one was my favourite.

7 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Recipe: esva
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Old Ale...

...I knew you couldn't resist the challenge. 🤣

Regardless of style guidelines, your malt bill looks really yummy. The only thing I would do different is back-end bitter the beer a little higher, & maybe a different British yeast. I'd imagine your MJ's M42 New World Strong Ale yeast would work well in this type of beer.

Are you still in that brew club up there? This might be a champion of club beer!

Don't forget your mate down south if it turns out any good. 😉

Best of luck with the brew when you get around to it. It looks very inviting.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I tried the commercial version of the 18 ESVA after I'd already bought the ROTM (haven't brewed it yet) and I'd have to say... I intensely disliked it! I don't know why, I'm normally open minded about beer.  I just found it so heavy and rich and in all the wrong ways.  The previous year's ROTM was excellent though.  Even in PET's after 8 months of aging it kept getting better and better.

4 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I remember an old ale I brewed a couple of years back. Maris Otter, medium crystal and choc malt (Simpson's). 8.5% abv, hopped with Styrian Goldings. Fermented with Bedford British. It was really good especially with some bottle age!

Cheers, 

John

Found the recipe, looks like I added a few more grains. It was tasty! 

Cheers, 

John 

Archived