Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

Picked this dude up for $110 at a silent auction on the weekend. Had to chuck it in the boot of the Uber home.

SmokeDroid_D2.png.56d9034c5b71191a0d87436eee3d125c.png

Threw it together this afternoon in the glorious 21C Melbourne HEAT. I've named him "SmokeDroid_D2"

Looking forward to learning the ropes. Now to buy the million and one accessories I now realise I need in order to use it.

First up one of those inkbird temp probe thingies.
make it rain money GIF

Then maybe a sound box that makes R2D2 noises for every hour it's on...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

They're good those things. I have the same style although different brand. 

So far the only accessory I have is a chimney starter. I just use my mash thermometer to check the temperature after about the time I figure it's where it should be (obviously that's well cleaned afterwards). Pretty primitive compared to some setups but it works. 

• Like 2

Honestly mate my wireless probe and display cost me about 60, it’s fit for purpose being heat proof etc. not sure a inkbird probe will do so well at 300c. 

could be wrong though. 

I use my infrared gun to see how hot it is to start but nothing says done like internal meat temp

1 hour ago, elLachlano said:

...but it looks like @Beerlust has something similar. Those are 2 brains worth picking. 👍

I'm still relatively what some might call a "newb" in this area & am quite comfortable with that tag atm. I only got my bullet smoker at Christmas last year so am still learning. I haven't buggared a single piece of meat in it yet though so far, & have made some amazing flavoured meats & veggies for that matter from it, so am doing well I guess.

There's 4 or 5 guys in this thread that are really doing some really amazing stuff in these things & I am learning a lot from reading their posts in particular, including pretty much all the terrific posts from everyone who has bothered to post BBQ/Smoker day triumphs in this thread. 😎 👍

I'm loving my time mucking around with cooking things in the smoker for sure.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And on tonight's menu...

ScotchFilletRoast.jpg

...Jabba the Hutt's Tongue! 😋

It's actually a 2kg piece of scotch fillet that I've had marinating for the last 2 days. The green you see is a mixture of rosemary (from my garden), garlic & a few other things I mashed up in a mortar & pestle then smeared all over it. I used this homemade concoction on some steaks last week for the first time & my partner & I thought they were superb. That good that I doubt I'll bother to use anything else as a marinade on beef again.

I'll smoke this until the coals die down, then wrap in foil & finish off in the hooded BBQ.

Will likely serve this up with some borlotti beans (if I can get hold of any) & some stuffed zucchini's.

Cheers & good BBQ'ing,

Lusty.

• Like 5

Jabba the Hutt's tongue tasted great! Best smoke ring I've gotten so far. I took a pic in fading light that didn't do it justice, but who cares, Mum, Dad, my partner & I really enjoyed it.

I made a Bread & Butter Pudding for the first time for dessert that was also spot on.

Winning. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Deboned leg of lamb rubbed with salt and garlic with some rosemary added. 

I’m drinking my bohemian pilsner which is supposed to be lagering but oh well. 
The beer is great and the meat smells fantastic. I’m also watching the A-League and cheering against the Western Sydney scum

E3241223-7BA2-42BC-9A51-DF11A9E7D51B.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

Deboned leg of lamb rubbed with salt and garlic with some rosemary added. 

Niiiiice BB1! 

Looks great.

And I can assure you that your Bohemian Pils will taste much better with a bit more time.... 👺