Beerlust

What's in your BBQ 2019?

This week my wife told me to get some fish for grilling for Friday but yesterday and today she was all like: beef beef beef. I went to our butcher and he recommended tritip. I do not know what that is but it's a good reliable butcher and I've been inspired by this thread. It turned out awesome. Rosy red inside. Black pepper, thyme, garlic for seasoning and oak chips in the grill. First time I made a bigger piece of meat on the grill. Won't be the last. 

IMG_20190809_181145.jpg

• Like 7

So I have a tiny little Bodum Fyrkat that I've been using for the last 7 or 8 years. I mostly do open grilling with lump charcoal then pop the lid on to finish with a bigger piece of meat on the grill and corn cobs on the coals. Worked much better after I took to it with a 12mm drill bit for better airflow, and have had a lot of really tasty meat from it. Some of the steaks, rare and matched with a nice Malbec... So tasty. 

Unfortunately we might be replacing the old, dead built-in natural gas BBQ in the backyard that's been there since we moved in years ago with a plumbed-in free-standing unit this year. So I doubt I'll get to fire up the charcoal much after that. I can understand the practicalities, but am going to miss the flavour and hands-on nature.

I'll keep the Fyrkat around just in case I get the chance though. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

I've taken to trying to do my slow cook BBQ stuff when I do brew days. I usually get the mash underway first, then get the smoker going during that first 70 minute sacch rest. This Sunday I have a batch of bacon to smoke, so I'll probably do a brew as well. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've taken to trying to do my slow cook BBQ stuff when I do brew days. I usually get the mash underway first, then get the smoker going during that first 70 minute sacch rest. This Sunday I have a batch of bacon to smoke, so I'll probably do a brew as well. 

This is exactly what I do most of the time. BBQ and smoke days are the best

• Like 2

I’m using this device called a gas barbecue. It must be new because I have never heard of it. Snags and rissoles on the new fancy invention tonight. 

92881C07-10B5-48D0-AF92-A8B5CF6AA547.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

This is exactly what I do most of the time. BBQ and smoke days are the best

I figure they both take a while and have a fair amount of sitting around waiting for the next step... Why not combine the two and free up half a weekend.. keeps the Mrs happy and I still get to enjoy my hobbies 😂

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

rissoles

And whadaya call this Darl............ Rissoles love.

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Closest I've got is hardwood lump charcoal, haven't thought about using a central piece of wood as yet though. 

I bought some & used it, but had a hard time getting it to burn right through. At the end of cooks there always seemed to be partial unburnt pieces still left.

I've tried a couple of ways in starters etc. & lay patterns in the smoker to try to get them to burn longer, but am coming up a little short on that front atm. 😦

It's probably my fault, I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong in a practical sense/approach.

At least the end product is tasting terrific! 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

I usually have a few small untouched pieces in there as well once it's all done and dusted, or partially burnt ones. It doesn't really worry me much though, the temperature sits where I want it and as you say the end product tastes great too. 

I got a new Manhorne offset smoker last week and we put it to good use for my brothers 50th, all up 120kg of meat 😮😮

20190808_153854.jpg

ribs.jpg

brisket.jpg

chicken.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

@Hoppy81 did only you, ya brother two other mates turn up? Sure that was enough meat ha ha 

Cracking set up

Hahaha, we catered or over catered for 130 but 60 turned up 🤔

Just now, Hoppy81 said:

Hahaha, we catered or over catered for 130 but 60 turned up 🤔

Mmmm 2kg of meat each. That’s a lot of meat. Looks tasty

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Mmmm 2kg of meat each. That’s a lot of meat. Looks tasty

Yeah i think we cooked too much haha

• Haha 2

Looks great but one thing I noticed.... CORONA?????????????

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Looks great but one thing I noticed.... CORONA?????????????

Hahaha, Brother in laws chosen drink for the week

39 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Hahaha, Brother in laws chosen drink for the week

Sure it was😉

• Haha 5

My wife found a trout and filled it with herbs an onion. We gave it some time in our grill with oak chips. Tasted very good with boiled potatoes and butter mixed with lemon, salt and fresh herbs. 

IMG_20190815_173804.jpg

IMG_20190815_180449.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, der kleine Drache said:

My wife found a trout 

😆

Sounds really nice on the grill 👍

Edited by Popo
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

My wife found a trout

Is that similar to the TV that I found that fell off the back of a truck??

• Haha 1

Hi guys.

I haven't had anything in the smoker for quite a while, just soo busy with work the last few months. 😦

Anyways....simple plan today. Hickory smoked pulled pork burgers.

Pulled-Pork-17-8-19.jpg

Stage 1: Smoke & slow cook the rolled pork for approx. 4 hours in the smoker.

Stage 2: Bring the pork inside, cut the string off & place in my slow cooker loaded with the sweet, spicy, BBQ sauce to cook for another 3-4 hours.

Stage 3: Remove the pork, shred, then place back into the sauce to absorb.

Stage 4: Grill a few brioche buns & load with pulled pork, smokey cheese, tomato & lettuce.

Stage 5: Serve with a few beers from the keg & enjoy watching Port Adelaide destroy North Melbourne in the AFL. 😁

Cheers & good BBQ'ing,

Lusty.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Stage 1 done. The meat is looking, smelling & tasting really good.

Pulled-Pork2-17-8-19.jpg

Stage 2 here we go...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hickory smoked pulled pork burgers

I am sure you did say once you didn't want falling apart pork..... 😁

You WILL enjoy.... well done. All you nbeed now is a sour to wash it down with.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I am sure you did say once you didn't want falling apart pork..... 😁

Haha! 😆

To be fair ohh 'King of Smokehouse' (meant sincerely), that day I wasn't trying to make fall apart pork. But I'll give you the win on this one. 😉

On a smaller scale I've made chicken enchiladas with a very similar process. My partner & Sis just love them!

This is the first time I've done this with a large piece of meat via a smoker first. I'm still very much a newbie in this area, but loving it.

Me & a friend are going to watch the footy later & devour these pulled pork burgers. I plan to have a few shots of decent bourbon whiskey later, so hopefully I remember to take a pic of the burgers beforehand!! 😋

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1