Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bacon just out of the smoker. Will put it in the fridge tonight and slice it up tomorrow. It feels a lot firmer than some previous ones so I think the longer time in the cure was the way to go.

20190720_155152.thumb.jpg.2e510926cddcd90414507b403e7e38e1.jpg

I'm itching to see what this looks like sliced open, Otto. Looks great.

• Like 1

Boneless leg of lamb on the spit tonight. 

I went to get a brisket from the ‘good’ butcher near me yesterday and they were sandwich slice thin or they had Angus with a handwritten 9+ on the label and they definitely weren’t 9+ 

Butchers near me are lacking quality meat

8C0082D3-4913-4BA1-A04C-405417A66B9B.jpeg

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup.

Once you've had rib eye it's hard to go backwards after that. Lovely marbling in that cut.

I only buy the cheap stuff for stews & slow cooking now. For grilling & BBQ'ing etc. only the good cuts now. Life is too short.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Question...

I was wondering if anyone uses a hard wood as part of their long smoker cooks? If so, what & why? The reason I ask is they burn a hell of a lot longer & hold a more stable temp for longer than do briquettes etc.

I'm thinking about adding a central piece of hard wood next time I smoker cook some meat & surround it with the briquettes to start with. Ben 10's posts about long slow cooks & 90+ internal meat temps combined with Spudley's bush oven posts got me thinking about this idea.

Any merit in it?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Left over chicken went into my “world famous in WA” chicken and vegetable soup. 

The smoked chicken has added an extra layer that surprises my palate. Delicious 

homemade chicken stock been on the simmer since 11 this morning has made this soup great too. 

3F9C06E0-FDD4-4FDC-9074-ABD68BD77DDD.jpeg

• Like 2