Coopers Community

What's in your BBQ 2019?

Beerlust

• 2 weeks later...

I'm smoking up a piece of pulled beef today, it went in about half an hour ago with the smoker sitting around 220-230F. Just used a basic seasoning of garlic salt and black pepper. It probably won't be the best thing ever but gotta start somewhere I suppose. Got the smoker under the patio today as there are intermittent showers going through.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

I did a rolled brisket on Sunday. Turned out well for a first crack. Just made up a simple rub with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. The bark reminds me a bit of pork crackle but with a nice smokey flavour to it. Meat itself is nice and tender. I'll be doing lots more of these I reckon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I did a rolled brisket on Sunday. Turned out well for a first crack. Just made up a simple rub with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. The bark reminds me a bit of pork crackle but with a nice smokey flavour to it. Meat itself is nice and tender. I'll be doing lots more of these I reckon. 

That sounds great!! 

I’d love to see some pics next time

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Sunday!

Otto, did you have some of that Bacon for Sunday Breakfast? You have inspired me to do some also, our Butcher smoked his own, cut it thick and it was awesome,

Currently got a 2.8KG "Bone in Brisket" in the Smoker, using Black Oak and Hickory. I made a sauce of - BBQ Sauce, Worcester Sauce and English Mustard with Paprika, Garlic and Onion powder. Sauced and rubbed it, not sure if I should have sauced, usually just used Salt and Pepper. Guess its good to try something different.

Ill run the smoker at 185F for about 4-5 Hours. Foil for a couple of Hours @185F then finish off for an hour @ 225F, pull out when internal is 198F.

Probably a 9hr cook. Wanted it on around 9am today but slept in so went in about 11am should be done by 8pm tonight 🤪`

People tell me to have it on their Fat Cap down, I usually "Bone" down, so trying Cap down this time also.

Got some of that Bought beer called Goat to try later on today while I tend my Brisket, it was on special for $13 a sixer.

Photo: One of our Dogs guarding the smoker, he loves the smell.

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

Edited by Beers Gone Wild
Add Image
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Beers Gone Wild said:

Happy Sunday!

Otto, did you have some of that Bacon for Sunday Breakfast? You have inspired me to do some also, our Butcher smoked his own, cut it thick and it was awesome,

Currently got a 2.8KG "Bone in Brisket" in the Smoker, using Black Oak and Hickory. I made a sauce of - BBQ Sauce, Worcester Sauce and English Mustard with Paprika, Garlic and Onion powder. Sauced and rubbed it, not sure if I should have sauced, usually just used Salt and Pepper. Guess its good to try something different.

Ill run the smoker at 185F for about 4-5 Hours. Foil for a couple of Hours @185F then finish off for an hour @ 225F, pull out when internal is 198F.

Probably a 9hr cook. Wanted it on around 9am today but slept in so went in about 11am should be done by 8pm tonight 🤪`

People tell me to have it on their Fat Cap down, I usually "Bone" down, so trying Cap down this time also.

Got some of that Bought beer called Goat to try later on today while I tend my Brisket, it was on special for $13 a sixer.

Photo: One of our Dogs guarding the smoker, he loves the smell.

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

Is a bone in brisket the same as beef ribs??

I love beef short ribs for bbq. So rich and indulgent. They are a great meal to showcase your bbq skills to guests on.

they are so fatty though so definitely a “once in a while” meal. One of my fave cuts to barbecue

I'm gonna have a crack at smoking two different hunks of meat, with two different wood chips, on the same day, as part of the same cook this coming Sunday. I'm also gonna have a crack at laying a snake bead formation to try & cook them for 10-12 hours. I've only done a couple of smoke days with the new smoker & admit maintaining a consistent heat from charcoal has been a challenge for me, & one I am struggling with atm.

That said, the end result of the meat has not been impacted in any noticeable negative way, it's just been a hassle time-wise getting fresh coals prepped in time for when the heat drops away in the smoker. After two cooks I still don't have a settled method & layout for coals that creates any consistency for periods above approx. 2½ - 3 hours. I would love some help in this area from anyone experienced enough that has a method to smoke a meat for 12 hours in a 2-3 tier bullet smoker like I use.

Very much still learning, but loving it! 😎

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, joolbag said:

I love beef short ribs for bbq. So rich and indulgent. They are a great meal to showcase your bbq skills to guests on.

they are so fatty though so definitely a “once in a while” meal. One of my fave cuts to barbecue

People seem a bit obsessed with cooking brisket. Give me a rack of well cooked beef ribs any day!!

Lusty, I'm not highly experienced either but I have been trying something new (to me) for my charcoal which was probably suggested here. 

I just dump a heap of it into the basket then rearrange it so there is a hole in the middle. Then I light up a load in the chimney starter and dump it into the hole when it's ready, which fills the basket. It usually reaches cooking temp in about 10 minutes or so, then maintains it for 7-8 hours as the lit charcoal gradually lights the rest of it. 

The first cook I did with beef took about 8 hours and the temperature hardly moved. It was still going strong a couple of hours after I finished. I think I may have added one additional load at around the 7 hour mark but that was all. 

I bought a 20kg bag of heat beads hardwood lump charcoal recently (not the briquettes) and don't mind it. The pieces are a decent size and all pretty uniform as well. Lights easily and burns long too. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

Thanks for the info Kelsey. Much appreciated.

For those longer cooks you've done, about how many briquettes would you say you layout, & how many would you put in the chimney starter?

Thus far I've been worried about having too many coals burning at the same time as I didn't want the temp to skyrocket. I've possibly been a bit stingy with how many I've been loading up each time? Maybe I need to load up more & trust that controlling the airflow will be enough to maintain the temp I want throughout? 🤔

All thoughts welcomed.

Cheers,

Lusty.